Ballet Talk for Dancers

Injury!

Guest Dancing Angel

Guest Dancing Angel

I have a problem. I pulled my muscle 3 weeks ago. My friend told me after 3 weeks I should be back to normal. Which didn't happen. My leg still hurts(thigh). I can't even do the right splits.

What should I do??? Go to a Doctor???

Thx

Dancing Angel:)

• Administrators

Hello Dancing Angel, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert! Online.

First problem, you are listening to a friend, who I'm sure is very well meaning, however not a doctor! Second problem, which muscle? Part of the quad muscles on the front of the thigh, or the hamstring muscles on the back of the thigh? Third problem, how do you know it's a pulled muscle?

What it is exactly, what to do about it, and how long it takes to heal are not things that will be known by friends, and probably not by people reading posts on line. An injury should be dealt with by a doctor. Preferably an orthopedic doctor who has experience with dancers or at least with athletes. However, if you give us a bit more detail about the injury, how it happened, exactly where it is, and what you are able to do and not do, we might be able to give you some help here. :D

Guest Dancing Angel

Well, I don't know when it happened but I think it happened when I was stretching. It hurts on the back of the thigh. When I tryed to the right splits I failed to and it KILLED! Is there any excersises I can do to heal it? Or should I got to a Doctor?

Thx

P.S.When my friend told me it takes 3 weeks, its becuz she pulled her thigh muscle (back) and it took her 3 weeks to heal

:D

• Administrators

Sounds like you have pulled the hamstrings. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do in terms of exercises. They can take a very long time to heal. If your friend was better in 3 weeks then she had not injured them very severely, which is great. But, yours could be a lot worse and take longer. And maybe not. But you cannot do much, especially forward bending and front and side extensions. Even attempting to do things like splits will just make it worse. If you went to a doctor you might be able to get a prescription for physical therapy, which could help you to heal quicker.

Guest Dancing Angel

Ok,but what should I do about ballet classes? Just not go to them. I have a show in June. Do I just watch the classes or just not do the hard stuff?

Thx

Dancing Angel

• Administrators

That depends on how bad it is and how well you can control what you do so as not to hurt it more than it is already. Some people can work with a hamstring pull and just not do the things that stretch that muscle, but that means keeping that leg very low and not doing any leg stretches or forward bending. If it hurts when you do even small things, or when you walk, then I would rest it for a while. It's always best to get the advice of a physician or at least a Physical Therapist for these things.

Guest Dancing Angel

It doesn't really hurt when I bend forward or walk. It s just when I try to do stretches on my right foot. How long do you think it will take for my muscle to be healed?

Thx

*Dancing Angel*

I don't know dear, bring it over here where I can look at it.

Mmmm. Huh! Uh-huh! Uh-huh! AHA!

See how dumb that sounds over the computer?;)

The only way you can get any kind of a diagnosis and prognosis is to take the injury to a health professional like a physician or a physical therapist.