Ballet Talk for Dancers

Can anyone help?

Guest Anna

hi,

i forgot to ask in my last message if anyone could help me. before i go off to dance college i am hoping to go and teach children ballet at a summer school in America (preferably New York.) i think that it will be good experience. does anyone know who i should contact in America, and which schools are most likely to need help with dance classes in the summer.

thanx

Anna

• Administrators

Anna, that is kind of a difficult question to answer. There are a lot of schools in NY, but most schools who would be hiring teachers would be looking for experienced teachers, most of whom would be former or even current professional dancers. What are your qualifications for teaching at this point in time? Have you been trained to teach? Do you have experience? Have you danced professionally?

hi,

i don't have any teaching qualifications as i am only 17- i would just like to help out at a summer school, get experience and spend the summer dancing!!i am quite advanced in ballet, tap and modern but have no formal teaching qualifications- i am going to study dance full time though.

does anyone have any other suggeestions of anything to do in the summer, where i can dance etc.

Anna

• Administrators

Anna, there are a couple of things you could do. One would be to attend a Summer Intensive program in the States. It is a bit late now to audition for most of them, but there might be some still willing to accept students. There is a thread somewhere with all the Summer Intensive URL's listed, and you could contact different ones to find out about sending a video audition at this late date.

Another thing would be to offer your services as a counselor at a dance camp. I believe there are some of these listed in Dance Magazine, and some posters here might have some information on those. I'm sorry, but I do not. It is rather late now to be trying to organize a summer here, as most programs have their staff already in place, but it's worth a try.

If you open your preferences to show all posts on the YD board, you should find the SI list. I don't have time to search for it right now, but will find it for you tonight if you have not found it.