Ballet Talk for Dancers

Utah Valley University dance program

I am looking to attend Utah Valley University to pursue a BFA in dance with an emphasis on ballet. I havn't heard that much about the program and was wondering if anyone knew or has heard anything about it. Thanks so much! :]

• Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, bitzybooboo. :blink:

I don't think we have any information currently on the board about this program. Have you checked out their website? I notice that they do offer a BFA in Ballet, but the site was not that easy or quick and I didn't take the time to check every aspect of the program. I did look at the faculty names, but there were no bios, and I did not recognize any of the names. That does mean anything, but it would help if there were bios.

I havent logged into the boards in a long time but when I saw this email I wanted to add my two cents.

For whatever its worth, I can and do personally recommend Mark Borchelt as a fantastic professor. Everyone has their "This person shaped who I am" speech. When I was in high school Mark was a faculty member at the Interlochen Arts Academy and was instrumental in my development as a thoughtful dancer. I could not have found a better person to instruct me. IMO Mark is a good instructor for students who want to understand the mechanics of the body within the framework of ballet technique. If you have a more intuitive approach, he probably wouldn't be the best fit. While I can recommend him and his teaching as excellent from my perspective, I do not know anything about how the program or degree is structured. And finding the right fit there is absolutly as important as the quality of the professors.

Edward

• Administrators

Thank you, Edward! Always the best to get some personal experience and knowledge of teachers and/or programs. I would like to know more about this program, though, and the other faculty as well. Anyone else ever been there?

The University's performing company, Repertory Ballet Ensemble, has just completed a successful evaluation process and is Regional Dance America/Pacific's newest member company. The director, Shayla Botts, is a former student and dancer of Jacqueline Colledge, long-time director of Utah Regional Ballet and URB 2. Ms. Colledge is also on the faculty and is noted for producing clean, technically strong dancers. There is also an opportunity to dance with URB 2 if your meet that standard. Many dancers in URB 2 are also students at the University.

If Shayla Bott is directing the company at UVU, you're in for a great time! She was our Ballet Mistress for Utah Ballet at U of Utah, and is great to work with. She had the company so well rehearsed and clean onstage, and we were all so happy to have her as our ballet mistress.

• 2 months later...

My husband was trying to find my bio online and stumbled across this. I'm not sure if you have found all the information you want about the program at UVU, but I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can. Our website is under construction, so I realize it's not very helpful. Let me know if you have any more questions. As was already stated, Repertory Ballet Ensemble just became members of RDA/P this year and we are going to Richland, WA in May to attend festival. The Ballet faculty consists of Jacqueline Colledge, Nichole Ortega, Mark Borchelt and myself, along with many other adjunct faculty. There is the opportunity to perform on the student ballet company as well as Utah Regional Ballet, the professional company in residence at the University. There are also scholarships available. I'm not sure what other info you need, but let me know and I'd be happy to answer what I can.

Shayla Bott

Artistic Director, Repertory Ballet Ensemble

Lecturer, Utah Valley University

• 2 years later...

A recommendation for Utah Valley was given to our daughter based on Mark Borchelt being on staff. Has anyone here had a personal experience with the program?

• 10 months later...

While I do not have any experience there, I know those who do. Right now the facilites are OK, but are very spread out. They are getting a new Arts building that looks impressive. I know some dancers there that are dancers with Utah Regional Ballet. They recieve credit for their company classes and performances.

• 1 year later...

My DD just began her freshmen year at UVU. The facilities are no longer spread out, as DD's classes are all centrally located in the PE building. Just in time for the new school year, they completed two new studios which are fairly large. One had a wood floor and one had a marley floor, and I believe they are both sprung floors.

• 2 years later...

Any new info on this program? I'm trying to understand the school. Seems all are accepted to the school, so I assume to the major. And no auditions for the BFA? I see scholarship auditions but nothing about auditioning for the major.

Edited to add that upon further reading, I see that all are accepted to the school but that dancers must audition into the BFA major during their first year at the school. So not all are accepted to the major. Would still love to hear any current reviews or information about this program.