Ballet Talk for Dancers

Where to find a sword

slhogan

My son's competition solo is to the theme song for Pirates of the Caribbean. On a whim, his teacher gave him her stick the other day and told him to hold it while dancing and pretend that it's a sword. It looked great and everyone loved it, so she changed a few portions of his choreography and made the sword part of his solo.

Now, I'm trying to find a sword for him to dance with! The stick he is using in rehearsal was some weight to it and he says he needs that weight is necessary for his balance. Unfortunately, all the toy swords I am finding are too light weight.

Any ideas where to find a heavier pirate sword (heavier than cheap plastic but not a real metal sword)? When I search online, all I seem to find are $3.99 plastic toys or $199 collector items.

Also, have any of your boys danced with a sword before? Any tips?

I wonder if you can put melted weight on it, like boys do for Pinewood Derby. You might find something like that in the craft department or craft/hobby store.

Make one out of wood? - easy if its a straight one, rather than a curved cutlass. If you needed a curved one, a hobbyist woodworker should be able to cut one out of plywood easily.

Jim.

My boys always buy their wooden swords when we go to the Renaissance Festival in MD. I did a search - trying to find the company that sells at the fair - and came across thebackyardarmory.com in Houston. They sell items similar to what we see each year at the fair. They are in Houston and have a variety of daggers and swords, with painting or without. The price is reasonable. They also have an option to let you describe what, exactly, you might be looking for. There are similiar companies out there in various locations across the country.

A martial arts school may be willing to loan one with a deposit. Musical Son's was a very heavy duty plasitc one for sparing.

Your local high school's color guard or winter guard may have a sabre you could borrow. They are metal, but not a sharp blade. I've used one to add to a pirate Halloween costume, and my guard dances with them all the time. Good luck!

These ideas make a lot of sense! Wood is good-- the stick he's using is wood, so the weight would be right and we can just paint it metallic. Adding melted weight is good too-- I've been a cub scout leader for years, so I'm not sure why that pinewood derby trick didn't occur to me. Borrowing is also a good idea, and I will consider the places you mention.

Thanks everyone! He's having a lot of fun with this solo, and at this age I'm still just trying to keep it all fun for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is late to be of any use, but you might try looking at some of the latex-boffer swords that are out there. Most of the ones I've had contact with are usually fairly accurate in weight to actual swords that they were mimicking. Not to mention they a practically harmless to anyone that might accidentally get hit with one, well besides a nasty bruise it they get hit hard enough, but no lasting damage or broken teeth.

I don't know if this is late to be of any use, but you might try looking at some of the latex-boffer swords that are out there. Most of the ones I've had contact with are usually fairly accurate in weight to actual swords that they were mimicking. Not to mention they a practically harmless to anyone that might accidentally get hit with one, well besides a nasty bruise it they get hit hard enough, but no lasting damage or broken teeth.

I had never heard of this! I did a little goggling and apparently there's an entire world of LARP going on out there (I had never heard of "live action role playing" either). I think my son will find all this very interesting. Thanks for the heads up!