Ballet Talk for Dancers

Adults and Dance wear

balletdude

I wear a black leo with pink tights usually. I always wear black or dark gray shorts over them. Occasionally I'll wear crazy colored tights-hot pink in February, green in March, royal blue and purple sometimes. I don't love these tights, but they are usually guaranteed to be clean when I have waited too long to wash the regular pink or black ones :huh:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a guy, black unfooted tights and either black or white fitted tee shirt. Very thin white nylon socks, black leather slippers. The studio is flexible for adults. As far as others in class, as long as they are in anything that appears appropriate for a ballet class (leotards, tights, etc.), I rarely notice. Not really judgemental, but I notice and find other wear puzzling.

While I go with the uniform, all props to Ken Cummings for the fuschia unitard! I wonder if I could pull that off, hummmmm????

I wear black or pink tights, the former over, the latter under. I prefer at this stage, to wear short sleeve or long sleeve leotards or a crop top or shrug over a tank leotard. I like either bare feet or tights in technique shoes, convertible tights in pointe shoes. I love wearing stirrup tights sometimes, with the tights matching the leo and the stirrup elongating my leg line. Sometimes, I wear dresses or skirts. There are lots of factors that go into what I wear to any given class.

I always prefer tank leotards (nothing else, strictly! i hate long/short sleeves or halters)(majority black, others are all burgundy) and pink tights. I may occasionally wear black tights, but only if I'm not doing pointe that day (so I haven't been in black tights for a looong time) because first, I don't have convertible black tights, and for silicon pads, I really prefer that the pads are "under" the tights, not over them. I tried to cut holes under some of my black tights, but this method just don't work as well as I want it to be. Secondly, it looks horrible when you wear black tights with pointe shoes. When I do that, I try to cover my pointe shoes with black leg-warmers, but during pointe work I find it dangerous to wear leg-warmers as they always slip off of my feet and make me lose my balance. I used to wear a skirt over this outfit, but then I noticed that it looks better when I wear tiny shorts instead. I don't have concerns about my looks but I'd never have the courage to go without shorts or skirts :huh: And no matter what the majority thinks about them, I really prefer Ballet Pink tights, the salmony, pinky pink tights :) I can't even machine wash my "ballet pink" tights out of the fear that they'd lose their pinkiness and turn grayish-white after a while (like my other tights did...) and hand washing takes a lot of time and causes rash on my hands=( But I'm not complaining =) (I actually use shampoo to avoid rashes, but shampoo just can't help with getting rid of the gray marks my shoes leave on the tights, so I need to use stain removers also, which cause the rash..)

P.S. I'm nowadays a bit obsessed about "white leo, pink tights, white skirt" combo, but I can't find a white leo that is not see-through... and it would cost a lot (and may not turn out so great) if I have them custom-made here >.<

You machine wash your tights?? I always hand wash my leo, skirt and tights. Machine washing causes runs. I use woolite or the "fake" woolite (no name brand). After class I throw them in the wash bucket.

I'm in the black tights -- footless -- over solid leotard camp. I never wanted to wear footed tights in my dance shoes... It seems so much more constricting to me. I also start of with some extra layers that I gradually strip off; just how quickly they come off depends on the weather/temperature.

And, on the topic of washing, I'm an absolute convert to Soak. Not having to rinse out endless suds is so much easier, not to mention more environmentally friendly.

I get very few runs in my tights and I machine wash on gentle using a lingerie bag. Then hang dry of course. Same with leotards.

If I had to hand wash I'd probably have to give up ballet :P I SO don't like hand washing.

When I began ballet, I wanted to fit in so I followed the suggestions given by the school, which for men was white t-shirt and black tights. Had black shoes too. Over time my costuming became more and more relaxed, first dumping the white t-shirt and going to any t-shirt and finally dumping the tights for the more loose fitting pants I was wearing for modern classes. Kept the black shoes, however.

Not being a man of style, with time the modern costume degenerated further. Since I now go to ballet class intermittently (but regularly to modern and Spanish classes) I now wear exactly what I would wear in modern. If I went to ballet class today, I’ll reach in my drawer for the first t-shirt I touch, get one of the many pairs of black sweat pants I have and add some black low ankle socks that I don’t remove as per modern. Haven’t replaced the ballet shoes as I just don’t go to ballet class often enough.

Personally I think if you are an adult you should be able to wear pretty much what you want. School suggestions are good, as they give a starting point, but as the years pass I think people want freedom from a uniform. Also people tend to be guided by what others in class wear, just as they do where they work. Being a guy is a little different as there are not a lot of costuming options available and because there aren’t many guys around to look to for costuming ideas.

It's really interesting to me how many people put their tights on over their leotards. Only one person does that at our studio (she's obviously in the adults' open class). How do you keep your tights from falling down? The last time I wore tights OVER my leotard was when I was 4 years old and changing for class at my pre-school/nursery school and I couldn't remember whether they should be under or over the leotard! My teacher gently asked me to go back and put then on properly :P

I never had runs in my tights because of machine washing... I'm a "skirt" person so I have zillions of tights (not only ballet I mean) and I hand wash only my ballet tights and it's just because I care about the color :shrug: Never even thought machine would cause runs actually :P But hand washing leos?? That would take a lot of time, I'm too lazy to do that and my leos are just fine with machine washing :D

Well if the tights go in a lingerie bag in the gentle/delicate cycle it is not the same as throwing them in with everything else. I've never had luck with those lingerie bags. They would always open up or the stuff inside would get all twisted up.

You guys (and girls) must do laundry pretty often or have a lot of gear. If I put my stuff into my machine wash pile I would go to class about twice a month!

You guys (and girls) must do laundry pretty often or have a lot of gear. If I put my stuff into my machine wash pile I would go to class about twice a month!

Guilty to both. And my washer/dryer are conveniently located right by the door through which my bicycle and I typically come and go, so there's really no excuse.

I toss everything in the washer, no lingerie bag or anything, and don't get runs in tights. I'm wayyyy too lazy to handwash anything!

WendyMichelle

Ha ha Serendipity!

I do use a lingerie back on my tights and ballet undergarments, but the leos get thrown in with everything else. I air dry everything though.

I'm even more lazy....it all goes in the dryer as well! I have enough ballet clothes for 7 days of classes, then they all get washed at once. When I was up at Richmond, though, I had to wash a lot daily, hand-wash, since I was changing clothes at least twice a day.

Archived