Ballet Talk for Dancers

Adults and Dance wear

balletdude

I'm usually in black leo (tank, camisole, or cap sleeved,) salmon pink tights, hair in bun. Chiffon wrap skirt for pointe class. Pretty unimaginative. But when I went back to class several years ago, that's what the school's website said. Silly me, I went out and bought a few pairs of tights and some black leos, not realizing that adult open class means pretty much anything goes.

Since I took ballet for fourteen years as a youngster, I was already used to the uniform, and it never really bothered me one way or another. I just look at the mirror for alignment and immediate feedback on what I'm doing, and ignore the "pretty" or "not pretty" factor, anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ginniathezinnia

I wear pink or black tights, and either my white, pink, or black leotard, with pink shoes and black legwarmers.

Sometimes I wear grey or black knitted tights over the leotard as a warm-up.

I don't always follow the standard, mainly because I think it's fun to mix up the colors and what-not.

Sometimes I just feel better in certain things and I think of my dance clothes much the same way as my street clothes... it's an outfit to me and I like to be creative. However I don't like to wear anything that would look sloppy, and I always wear my hair very secured and out of my face.

I have just returned to ballet after two children and a 15 year break and of course couldn't pull my old leotard and tights passed my knees. :sweating: So I have made my own leotard and wrap skirt and have found a great website that sells plus size tights of all colors. www.welovecolors.com

Our Class dress code is pink tights and navy blue leotard, wrap skirt and crossover. Pink shoes but I still have my black leather toe shoes so I'm just wearing these for now.

The fabric I used to make the leotard is much nicer than that of the ones I tried to squeeze into in the shops. The cost ended up being 1/4 of the price of buying the set from the store. Jen :thumbsup:

It's nice to were a uniform as it makes me feel like we are representing the heritage of our ballet school and seems to be in keeping with the grace and elegance of ballet. :lol:

I have pink and black tights... though pink tights are reserved for high self-esteem days. I don't wear skirts since I find that they break my line.

But yeah, I almost always machine wash and dry, except for a few leos that I try to preserve by line-drying. I enjoy ballet clothes shopping so I like the excuse to buy more!

• 2 months later...
Old Ballet Guy

I wear men's black ballet tights, a white tee shirt and black flats. I try to fit in by at least looking the part. I can certainly unnderstand some adults not wanting to wear the classic pink tights and black leotards. Let's face it, not all us adults have bodies we're ready to show off in such form fitting outfits. But on the other side of the coin, a ballet dancer must be willing to wear clothing that is somewhat tight fitting so the ballet teacher can see how the dancer's body is being used, and corrections can be made.

In my adult ballet class, most of the women do not wear tights and leotards. They usually dress in leggings, yoga pants, sweat shirts ect. There is a drssscode for adults, but it isn't enforced at all. The studio owner says she wants her adult students to feel relaxed and she hopes that as time passes and the adults become more comfortable with their bodies, they will shed the many layers of clothing and evetually feel confident enough to put on tights and leotards. One woman in my class who's been dancing now for three years used to come completrly covered up in heavy black sweats from head to toe, Now not only does she wear pink tights and a black leotard, she now helps teach the younger girls class and is in charge of dancewear compliance.

Amen old guy. Many dancers wear clothing to hide their sins: fat ankles, Big but, big Bellies (that's me!) but the teacher cannot see if you are sicling your feet or not turning out.

We had an adult class with 4 guys in it Yesterday, they all wore black tights and snug T shirts. The ladies were in Yoga pants or layers of warmups. If the gentlemen are willing to expose their sins and dress appropriately, why can't the ladies?

Over 50 dancer

Can't agree more - I also wear black tights and a snug white T to class. Some of the guys wear loose shorts but all the ladies are in leotards and tights. None of us are picture perfect but no one notices once class has started.

insidesoloist

Sweetpeaprod, I think it's awesome that you made your own leotard! I've always wondered how easy/difficult that might be for someone like me -- with no sewing skills beyond cotton curtains and pillowcases!

The adult classes I'm in don't have a dress code, and folks come in wearing all manner of interesting things. I tend to keep it simple/traditional and either do pink tights and a classic, solid-colored leo over them or do same type of leo with footless black tights over. Pink legwarmers with pink tights until I'm warm. Black with black. Nothing crazy. I choose the leo color to suit my mood for the day.

Although I like skirts, I rarely wear them to class myself, only when teaching.

We had an adult class with 4 guys in it Yesterday, they all wore black tights and snug T shirts. The ladies were in Yoga pants or layers of warmups. If the gentlemen are willing to expose their sins and dress appropriately, why can't the ladies?

Hmm. Maybe because women have a lifetime of being judged on physical appearance in every aspect of their lives, and hence are far less care-free about their physical form as men?

Over 50 dancer

Oh men are just as self conscious about how they look - believe me :thumbsup: If I did not have what one of my teachers call "perfect dancers legs" I think I would want to cover up as much as I could. As it is I always feel too 'big' when I get to class - but once thing start that disappears as I concentrate on following all those complex combinations.

Hmm. Maybe because women have a lifetime of being judged on physical appearance in every aspect of their lives, and hence are far less care-free about their physical form as men?

As a guy i think both are self conscious about their appearance. More n more guys are these days, with all of the male beauty products on the line, plastic surgery and exercising ect. Off my soap box now.

I just wear black tights dance slippers n a t-shirt..

• 2 weeks later...
Je Suis Aimee

I wear the traditional black leo and pink tights, with either pink or black knit warm up leggings, and pink canvas slippers or pointe shoes. Recently I decided to go wild and I actually ordered a BLUE leotard. :)

I wear the traditional black leo and pink tights, with either pink or black knit warm up leggings, and pink canvas slippers or pointe shoes. Recently I decided to go wild and I actually ordered a BLUE leotard. :rolleyes:

GASP! You wanton woman!

gimpydancer

Oooh, be careful!

I started that way too and now have purple (Mirella's "fig") and red, gasp! :rolleyes:

Oooh, be careful!

I started that way too and now have purple (Mirella's "fig") and red, gasp! :rolleyes:

Haha! That's fun(ny)!

As a late starter, I had to quickly choose, either get comfortable looking stupid, or try something easier, like rugby maybe. I went with stupid, so it's white shoes, socks, and shirt, with black tights. Yes, you can see the spare tire and the bat-wing arms - but like the talking dog, it's not how well I do it, it's that I do it at all. Nobody gives me any grief except myself.

Eventually I noticed my shirts were getting quite grey, since I washed everything together. So I bought some new white shirts, and dyed the old ones orange. It was supposed to be red, but came out in between salmon and traffic cone. I have a half dozen of each and alternate - but now I wash each color by itself!

Archived