Ballet Talk for Dancers

forcing turnout?

epsilonprodigy

Hi ladies, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you know if you are only turning out from the knee, rather than the hip? Also, how do you know if you are "forcing" turnout? Thanks!

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, epsilonprodigy (where there are both ladies and gentlemen!). This is probably not the correct forum for your question, as developing the correct understanding and 'feel' for turn out is a technique question. So I'm going to move your post to the Adult Dance Students' forum, as I think you're over 18 years of age. If I've got this wrong, please let me know & I'll move your question to the appropriate forum for your age and training.

Well, epsilonprodigy, I hope you won't mind if a gentleman answers your question, at least to begin with. :ermm:

An indication of forced turnout is a rolling inward of the feet on the floor. If the weight is on the inside of the foot, It's an indicator that there's a twisting of the lower leg going on. Another way to tell if there's forced turnout is to see if, when doing a demi-plié, the toes and the knee don't point in the same directions. The student may also notice a distinct ache at the knee-joint from turnout not supported by rotation of the legs from the hips.

Does this at least begin to answer your question?

Have a read on these 2 topics to see if they help you at all!

ROTATION & TURNOUT

ALIGNMENT