Ballet Talk for Dancers
swantobe

Do you wear make-up in class?

swantobe

I was just wondering if the ladies here wear make-up to ballet class? If so, what works for you (as in what stays on/doesn't run in an ugly way)? I usually go from work to ballet, so I'm usually wearing make-up but I sometimes end up with panda eyes or other things like that. I'd especially like to know what foundation/base you use that works okay when sweating? I have no problem with make-up coming off but I don't like it when it runs or looks unsightly. I find powder foundations tend to look horrible and blotchy when I sweat. Also, do you wear your regular jewellery to class? (just for interest's sake). I wear my wedding rings and earrings, but take off any necklaces or bracelets. But I know some women who even take their wedding rings off and others who wear more than one necklace (until my teacher notices and tells them to take them off...).

gimpydancer

I wear my normal makeup to class since it's what I've been wearing all day anyway. I use a liquid mineral foundation from Illuminare as it provides really good coverage (you have to put it on in very thin layers with a makeup sponge or brush) and it lasts all day even on my extremely oily skin. I also use their eye colors as a liner (applying with an eye liner brush) since it also stays on really well. It's available online and a small tube is about $28US but you use a tiny bit (like pea size, if that). I just checked and they do ship internationally. I've had great service with them.

I usually only wear earrings and my wedding rings and will leave them in for class unless the earrings are really big or dangly.

luceroblanco

No usually not. I don't wear make-up during the day so I am not going to put it on for class usually!

I do not wear any jewelry in class. I take off any including my watch. At first I wore stud earrings but I wondered if the metal was doing something to my balance so I stopped. I don't understand why anyone would want to wear jewelry in class. Rings could cause injury to yourself (at the barre) or to someone else while dancing. Necklaces, bracelets and earrings could fall off and cause somebody to trip. I understand some don't want to take off their wedding rings because they might get stolen, but leave it at home that day maybe.

thedanceexperience

I find that a tinted moisturizer set with a teeny bit of powder works best as a base for me. I use BeneFit's You Rebel with a bit of MAC's Mineralized SkinFinish Natural over it. I use Bobbi Brown's No Smudge Mascara or Max Factor's Volume Couture Waterproof Mascara and Bobbi Brown's Long-Wear Gel Liner or Make Up For Ever's Waterproof Eye Pencil on the eyes. I have never had problems with any of those one's smudging or causing the dreaded panda eyes. :yes:

With the exception of a couple of small earrings, I don't wear jewelry to class.

TeaTime

I do, especially eye makeup, as my complexion and coloring is such that I pretty much wash out without it. Foundation and such are usually pretty much gone by the end of class, so I don't bother too much with those. But I do line my eyes and wear mascara without fail. Faces are important in ballet, and I want to be able to see mine clearly in the mirror from the barre at the back of the room!

amiaow

I just have my makeup from work as well- usually powder-based mineral foundation and a little blush and mascara. I sweat off the foundation and the mascara seems to stay on just fine- but I only put it on my top lashes, so maybe that makes a difference.

As for jewellery, I keep my earrings in and my rings on, but usually take my watch off. I don't wear bracelets or necklaces or anything dangly!

Gayle

I wear full makeup to class even when not coming from work. Call me vain, but I want even skin tone and defined eyes! I use Cover Girl liquid foundation, eye shadow, liner, and mascara. For lips, I just use chapstick to keep them moist. I've not had any trouble with panda eyes or makeup running.

As for jewelry, I don't wear any when I dance or exercise.

missvjc420

I don't usually wear makeup to class, sometimes I'll wear eyeliner if I'm in the mood. It's rare. I wore Max Factor Pan-Cake on stage, with Lancome waterproof mascara. It's sweatproof. I have to wear my jewelry right now, my jade bracelet won't come off at all, and my engagement ring is stuck on my finger. I can normally take my ring off, but have no choice about the bracelet.

lampwick

I always wear my work makeup, and on the weekends, I take the time to do my hair and makeup even nicer. I will occasionally show up to the theatre with no makeup on for a warmup class. Usually people ask if I'm ill. LOL! Nope, I'm in my 30s and just don't look so hot without makeup.

I've always worn liquid eyeliner on the top of my eyelids. I think at my age, a small smudge of pencil looks better on the bottom, as opposed to the "hard" line of liquid, and yeah, I have to keep checking the pencil. It can tend to run:)

ami1436

I have my work make-up on too. And yes, sometimes I do especially try to look 'nice' for dance. My fave liquid eyeliner is actually Revlon's colorstay -- no budging... I also love Lancome's stylo waterproof eyeliner pencil (it's like a crayon). I've been using both for years and don't think I'll ever switch! :)

swantobe

Thanks for your replies. I'll respond properly at some point. For now, I have 3 more questions: 1.) Ladies who are en pointe, do you bother to paint your toe nails? I know there was a post about pedicures a while back but I am just interested in the nail polish aspect. How does your polish hold up under the stress of pointe work, tape etc? 2.) What is your opinion of nail polish on finger nails in class? In this case I am referring to darker colours, not fairly neutral and hardly noticeable soft pinks/beiges. And 3.) How often do you wear high heels? I like low to medium height high heels for going out in the evenings, but since doing more pointe work I've only been wearing them on very special occasions (to save my poor feet and tendons)...it makes me a bit sad that some of my prettiest shoes are hardly ever worn.

luceroblanco

Since I'm in recreational adult classes, I could care less about whether people paint their fingernails or not. I don't but that's because I bite my nails! If I didn't I would probably wear clear polish, but I think it's irrelevant to the dance class.

As far as heels, I used to wear them much more often. I already have a short achilles tendon and was having problems with my right one a few months ago. My teacher informed me that heels were the worst I could wear. So I now only wear them when necessary--when performing or auditioning (I'm a professional in another performing art, not dance).

Claude_Catastrophique

As for the make-up, I go with the one I had during the day to class. Most times, I run from work directly to the studio and there is no time to clean it or to put it again on. When I am at home, I use a bit of foundation, powder, mascara, eyeshadow and eyeliner, sometimes lipstick. I have the eyeliner from bodyshop, the foundation is biotherm and all the others are products I am changing. Althoug I sweat a lot in class, my make up stays where it is. In summer, I do not put any foundation or powder because I use a towel to clean my face from sweat and I would remove it immediately.

We are not allowed to wear jewellery in class. My teacher wants us to take everything off (even wedding rings) and she notices immediately when someone with jewellery enters the classroom.

I stopped painting my toenails a while ago, because I don't like them painted. But I remember, that I used to paint them as a teenager in all kind of colours and my nailpolish lasted for a good amount of time (actually, it started to grow out, then I had to remove it and paint it new). I used different brands and all of them lasted so long. I guess I have a special kind of toenail hehe.

I do not like painted fingernails at all. No offence to anyone but even out of class I think it looks ugly.

I am a high heel lover but I do not wear them too often. When I have to work a full day, I would wear them about 10 hrs and this is just not healthy and gets painful in the evening. Therefore I wear mid heels or flat shoes and the high heels are more for the evening. I have kneeissues and I should not wear them too often (although I never felt anything in my knees when wearing high heels, rather in my feet). I used to wear high heels a lot and in this time, I never had any pain or so (I guess the more you wear them, the less they hurt you...)

WendyMichelle

I usually just wear a light foundation in class unless I've been wearing full makeup earlier in the day and then I don't bother to take it off.

I don't like painted fingernails in class.

Yes I wear high heels.

No, I don't paint my toe nails. My feet go through enough.

I'm allowed to wear my wedding band in class.........but I'm the oldest and the only one married :)

swantobe

The reason I asked about the darker finger nail polish is because it's something that I don't see as really fitting in to the ballet class setting. However, I have worn darker finger nail polish once or twice in adult open class, but not in syllabus classes. My syllabus classes are with younger girls, many of whom wear uniforms to school and are not permitted to wear nail polish at school, and thus don't at ballet class. The reason I asked about the heels is because I am very hesitant to wear heels these days, because of my tendons and dancing, and was wondering if anyone else felt that way.