Ballet Talk for Dancers

Romantic Hair

BalletMac

My teacher last night suggested that I grow my hair bit so that it has more of a romantic look. I don't have anything against growing my hair a bit, but I am slightly confused by what is meant be "romantic" hair. If someone could describe it or even better yet post a link to picture that would be great. My teacher was especially emphasizing the length of my bangs. The one problem I might have though is that I have very thick hair that tends to get bushy, and also has no natural part. Any help is appreciated!

Mac

Maybe he just meant that your hair should not be too short (no buzz-cuts).

Yeah, my take on a romantic hair style for a male dancer, is more along the lines of the male lead from a romantic movie. I reckon looking at Colin Firth or Hugh Grant would probably be about right.

Yeah, my take on a romantic hair style for a male dancer, is more along the lines of the male lead from a romantic movie. I reckon looking at Colin Firth or Hugh Grant would probably be about right.

That is I was wondering. My hair is definitely not a buzz cut, but it still is not very long. I suppose you could call it a standard short men's haircut. Maybe I should plan on just telling the barber next time to just trim the back and thin the top so as let the bangs grow out. Better get used to using gel I guess.

Some time ago I found a book in the library called something like "Everything you need to know about dance - except how to dance". In it there is advice on men's hair; basically a standard average-length haircut but slightly longer in back. That's SLIGHTLY longer - nobody wants to see a mullet on stage!

I would suggest that you look at hair styles for men from 1800-1835-40. this is the romantic/classical period. Bushy hair, check with the hair salon that you go to to get your hair cut. They can do something to give you a little more control and to thin it down with special scissors. Take some of the pictures to the studio to get the teachers opinion. No sense getting it cut in a style that isn't what they meant. Good luck!

have to agree with crazydancing here, I think your teacher meant something more in the line of this: http://kultura.hu/img/upload/200803/ifjnag...20040415008.jpg - the picture is of recently deceased great hungarian dancer Zoltan Nagy.

That is, unless you're doing some really hardcore-to-the-point romantic ballet for historical reasons. Didn't see a male dancer with the haircut of Petipa (or any other oldtime.hero) anywhere lately ;)

Just remember, Lucien Petipa was Marius' big brother, and the original Albrecht in Giselle. Act I isn't too bad, but think of Act II, and all those double tours with a 'do like that! :)