Ballet Talk for Dancers

Some Sort of ____________?

TemptressToo

That's it, thanks so much! I still couldn't find it in an online ballet dictionary though. And I'd never done them before.

These emboites crop up in quite a lot of female variations!

Medora in Le Corsaire

Look for the jumps after the first diagonal series of turns.

Off the top of my head there's some in Raymonda's variation at the end? (There's loads of Raymonda variations but the one I'm thinking of is the one that's used in Prix de Lausanne?) Also some in the Grand pas de deux in the Nutcracker right before she does the petits battements battus. And there's some in Aurora's friends in Act 1 of Sleeping Beauty right after the Rose Adage I think.

Back to the topic of the coupé jeté en tournant. Found this clip:

Sleeping Beauty Act 3 Prince's Solo

When he starts his manège series (0:47), he does 2 of the ones that has an extra preparation, and then 8 straight ones one after the other. Are they both coupé jeté en tournants? I've also heard of the term jeté elancé? Are they different names for the same thing or different names for different things and I've just completely mixed them up?

Thanks!!

Fish

• 7 months later...

My new nemesis...we did emboité turns last class. I did not "get them" at all...and felt a lot like a flailing, lopsided chicken.

Help... :thumbsup:

Do you mean by emboite turns, the ones like petit jete devant by half turn? Try thinking that each jump from leg to leg makes a half turn and keep your head focused on the corner you're moving towards. I use my arms going from 3rd to 3rd with each jump, which also helps to separate the half turns.

Jeté elancé describes the more "darting" way of doing the coupé jeté en tournant with the arms in 1st arabesque. The first two jumps the Prince does in his variation are probably coupe chasse coupe jete with arms in attitude(?) followed by 8 jeté elancé en tournant. You can also use the arabesque line with the coupe chasse coupe jete version, but the added coupe chasse makes it less of a darting movement, so it's not really a jeté elancé. Ooof - ballet is complex!

"Do you mean by emboite turns, the ones like petit jete devant by half turn? Try thinking that each jump from leg to leg makes a half turn and keep your head focused on the corner you're moving towards. I use my arms going from 3rd to 3rd with each jump, which also helps to separate the half turns."

Definitely, I looked and felt so awkward. I'll try and think of them more individually. Any other tips from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.