Ballet Talk for Dancers

Music: Ballet Class for 12-16 year olds

I'm going to be teaching for the first time and I was wondering if anyone has any favourite music for class exercises. They are ages 12-16. I would prefer music that is simple and somewhat easy to make excercises to as it's my first time teaching.

• Administrators

dancerxox44, it's really easy to find ballet class CD's. You can even download them to an iPod from iTunes. :(

Amazon has a lot of them too. Look for albums with David Howard's name on them, or the Behind Barres series of albums, anything with Steven Mitchell as the pianist and lots and lots of other good ones. Years ago ballet class albums were not good, but now they are very good, especially the ones I mentioned. All of the music is specifically arranged for ballet exercises.

If you go to Amazon, please go there by clicking on our link at the top of every page on this board. Every little bit helps us in terms of paying for the board. :thumbsup:

Guest pas quoi

I'll add that if you like music with a Russian "feel' to it, try any of Dmitri Roudnev's cd's. They are also available from Amazon.com, so be sure to click the link Ms. Leigh cited in her post above. They have rather short bands, which may or may not be what you are looking for. If you go to "Roper Records" (just put that name in your search bar and you'll get there) you will find a few cd's by Alla Reznick. Her cd's are very very easy to use, and have a Russian/character feel to them. You cannot order directly on-line from this site, however. You must still call an order in, or download the order form, fill it out, enclose a check and mail it. When I do purchase something from Roper Records, I call the company. I receive my order very quickly if the cd's I want are in stock. :(

• Administrators

Pas quoi, I bought a couple of those Roudnev CD's a few years ago, and cannot use them. The bands are just way too short.

Guest pas quoi

I agree with you - I suggested the Roudnev cd's only because with new younger students, the shortness of the bands may not be such a problem. The music is gorgeous - I just need more than 32 counts or 64 counts for my more advanced children's classes and my adult classes. I find that I am able to use them for my beginning pointe classes fairly successfully.

I'm very picky about what I use for my children's classes - I feel they should be able to dance to the "real" ballet music and not to anything titled, "Fun 4 Kids" etc. etc. That's just my feeling however. When I started ballet, I would have been very dissappointed if I had a class in which I was asked to dance to a balletic hokey pokey or the theme song from "Flipper" or "I Dream of Jeannie". :(

Of course we all know what the real solution is .... an amazingly gifted and intuitive pianist!

I always use the RAD's Studio series. They have about 6 discs with choices of music for each exercise, often with a different time signature, and they are varied and great to dance to. Don't be put off by the word RAD - they have nothing to do with the set material! You can order them from the RAD website.