Ballet Talk for Dancers

Is ballet self injury?

Polina Fan

• Administrators

Ballet is an art form, Polina Fan. It a beautiful form of expression and music and movement. It has nothing whatsoever to do with self injury. Whoever is saying that has no idea at all what ballet is.

Well, the way some people do it, it is, but then, they're not doing it correctly. :P Actually, far more damage is done to students by bad teaching than by things that the students do to themselves, but I've seen some pretty ingenious cheats. Ballet is difficult, and it involves risk, the same way that any activity does, but the risk is generated mostly by poor practices rather than anything inherent in the art form. As with any activity employing great physical exertion, accidents happen, too, but they're accidents, not parts of the normal conduct of the study. This "sef-injury" canard is a sour-grapes approach that some people use in order to make themselves feel better. I don't buy it, and you shouldn't, either. I don't see many people clamoring for a ban on high school football just because of the risk factor, and there are far more injuries (and serious ones) to participants in football than there are in good ballet, whether you compute the rate by the student or by the activity per hour.

• 1 month later...

That is a bogus statement ballet en pointe can be painfull yes, but thats not the reson why a dancer should go en pointe. besides properly fitted shoes shouldnt hurt... much!!! so no that statement is totally wrong!!!

Jewels, this is the Young Dancers forum. No parents are allowed to post--only the Teacher-Moderators and the Young Dancers of the specified ages. Your profile states you are a 'student dancer mom'. Does that mean this account is for a 'student dancer' and a 'mom'? If this is a shared account between a mom and a young dancer, we need one of you to open a second account. We require each individual to have their own personal account. If the account is for the dancer's mom (or a dancing mom :) ), would you be so kind as to mark your profile to make it a little more clear. I noticed another post asking about pointe shoes, so we just need to know to whom we are talking. :wink:

In addition, we require all our posters use proper English spelling and punctuation. So, please do use capital letters appropriately.

Not unless you consider doing anything other than laying on the couch self injury :) . You could consider driving or riding in a car self injury because you may get in an accident

Edited by soccer22dancer

I agree. The way I see it, is that anything you do can distorted and be considered self injury. If you think of things that way, then simply living could be considered self injury. I really wish people knew that ballet isn't simply dancing on "on toe." :)

-Dana

Jewels, this is the Young Dancers forum. No parents are allowed to post--only the Teacher-Moderators and the Young Dancers of the specified ages. Your profile states you are a 'student dancer mom'. Does that mean this account is for a 'student dancer' and a 'mom'? If this is a shared account between a mom and a young dancer, we need one of you to open a second account. We require each individual to have their own personal account. If the account is for the dancer's mom (or a dancing mom :) ), would you be so kind as to mark your profile to make it a little more clear. I noticed another post asking about pointe shoes, so we just need to know to whom we are talking. :wink:

In addition, we require all our posters use proper English spelling and punctuation. So, please do use capital letters appropriately.

Hello,

My daughter now has her own account. I apologize that her post was confusing and in violation of your rules.

Thank you.

Edited by Jewels