Ballet Talk for Dancers

height

Guest Anna

hi,

i have been dancing for 14 years now and really want to work as a professional dancer when i finish all my training- in about 3 years. Although i study ballet, i do not want to become a pro ballet dancer as i am 5ft10-5ft11 ins tall. do you think that i am too tall to go into other areas of dance- or do u think my height will help me stand out if my technique is right?

i'd like to hear other dancers opinions- my teacher says that it can work to both my advantage and dissadvantage!

thanx

Anna

• Administrators

I think it can definitely work to your advantage if your technique is strong and you know how to USE that wonderful height! Tall people who stand and move well and are proud of their height are, IMO, very beautiful! :) It is important to be a very strong dancer, though, as you probably will need to be featured rather than in a group. What kind of performing are you hoping to do? Musical Theatre perhaps? Do you sing? By the way, it is not unheard of for a female ballet dancer to be 5'10 or 11. Again, they must be exceptional, but, it can happen. There is a gorgeous dancer in PNB who is, I've heard, very close to 6' tall! She is a principal dancer there.

hi, thanx for your reply!i am hoping to go into musical theatre- i sing and act but my dancing is definately my strongest area. i'm glad that your reply was positive- i feel better now. i can't think of any dancers that i know of who are tall- but it is good to know that they are out there!!

Anna

Guest DaNzMaNiAc123

i think it would also be hardish for a 5"1 person to be a pro dancer also? How many short dancers are there already in ballet?

Guest Portia

Hey! Don't despair, you can be So successful if you are tall! i'm six feet, and so far i haven't had too much trouble with my height - some small regional companies have height restrictions, but many do not! I hear that PNB loves tall dancers, so i'm going there this summer on full scholarship - i can't wait to be at a place that appreciates height! Just to give you another inspirational story, i have a teacher who is still quite young who danced with a very well known professional ballet company, and has also been in broadway musicals and music videos who is 5'10. She has had the COOLEST career ever, and I think it really goes to show you that height doesnt matter that much anymore.

Guest Michy

I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied inspirationally to this post. I am 5'8 and an aspiring pro ballet dancer and this was a little boost of confidence for me because I constantly worry that with my heigth I will not be able to make it in the world of ballet! Thanks! ;)