Ballet Talk for Dancers
lorrainegd

Dancers known for their Artistry

lorrainegd

There has been a lot of talk lately in our ballet lives about artistry. I searched here but couldn't find the info that I was looking for. We wanted to watch some professional dancers on youtube who are known for their artistry so that dd can see what her teachers mean when they talk about artistry and becoming a true artist. The girls are so easily impressed with high extension and multiple turns and I think that this is more what DD ends up gravitating toward watching. Any suggestions on who to look toward for artsitic expression?

cheetah

I can't make recommendations - but appreciate your starting this post! It's something my DS has to work on, too. And the guys are especially focused on acrobatics and tricks - not "dancing." It's interesting to hear his critique of professional dancers - especially females. He, too, looks for the overextensions when he judges someone's quality of dancing. I can only surmise that this is something that has been emphasized in his schools.

WriteLife

My daughter admires Gillian Murphey for her artistry and Margot Fonteyn but I agree there is too much emphasis on extreme extension and the "tricks".

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of the dance teachers and professionals on the forum.

Clara 76

I think watching The Royal Ballet and Paris Opera Ballet do just about anything is spellbinding. Of course, the Kirov/Mariiinsky Bolshoi circa 1960s-80s should have some great examples.

As far as individual dancers:

Check out: The Ballerina Gallery

ceecee

I am certainly no expert :shrug:. I have very much enjoyed watching clips of Evgenia Obraztsova lately on youtube. See if you can find her Giselle, Juliet or Cupid (Amour).

cheetah

What about men who are known for their artistry? Preferably those who can mesmerize without focusing on how many turns they can do at one time. I keep trying to explain it as someone who uses his entire body to dance, from the tips of the fingers, down through the back and all the way to the toes. I see it in women - sometimes - but not men. At least not during their variations - maybe during adagios.

myrtha

For men, artistically I've adored Erik Bruhn and Barishnikov and Gelsey bring me to tears watching Act 2 Giselle.

Clara 76

I think our very own Daniil Simkin is a fantastic example.

Rock

I'm definately completely in love with this movie with Polina Seminova.

t is really amazing, she is a real artist to me!

Hans

I very strongly recommend the following artists (in no particular order):

Margot Fonteyn

Eva Evdokimova

Carla Fracci

Lynn Seymour

Antoinette Sibley

Gelsey Kirkland

Yelena Yevteyeva

Altynai Asylmuratova

Amanda McKerrow

Zhanna Ayupova

Cynthia Gregory--especially this:

Larissa Lezhnina

Alla Sizova

Tatiana Terekhova

Gudrun Bojesen

Rose Gad

Silja Schandorff

Lis Jeppensen

Elisabeth Platel

Aurelie Dupont

Isabelle Guerin

Elisabeth Maurin

Sallie Wilson

Irina Kolpakova

Anthony Dowell

Peter Boal

Rudolf Nureyev

Erik Bruhn

Johan Kobborg

Marcelo Gomes

Manuel Legris

Yuri Soloviev

Patrick Dupond

I may come back and add more. All of them are exceptional artists, and most of them are well-documented on film available on Youtube.

NutsaboutBallet

Recently retired, Calvin Kitten of The Joffrey Ballet is a dancer I have always admired for his artistry!

eugenia

Julie Kent :)

bontemps

Calvin Kitten is still dancing and you can see him in Joffrey's Cinderella to be performed in Chicago this month! We saw him last weekend in in their L.A. performances of Cinderella as the jester. He is a wonderful artist and teacher.

I agree that true ballet artistry is when you are as mesmerized by the last placement of the fingertips through a movement or the beautiful fluttering of a bouree as you are by the "tricks."

Thanks for the list, Hans!

In love with ballet
I am certainly no expert :). I have very much enjoyed watching clips of Evgenia Obraztsova lately on youtube. See if you can find her Giselle, Juliet or Cupid (Amour).

Speaking of this dancer, I believe she is a documentary I just watched called "Ballerina" it was on instant wtaching on Netflix. This movie follows about four female dancers of the Kirov Ballet, It is a truely amazing movie. And if it is the same dancer, i thought she was marvelous. Also on Netflix instant viewing is Elusive Muse, which is Suzanne Farrell's movie (there are some very beautiful clips of her dancing).

some other suggestions of mine would be Don Quxoite with Barishnakov and Cynthia Harvey, also I really enjoy watching youtube videos of Natalia Osipova. I think she is a perfect example of a dancer who has great expression as well as facility. I would have to agree with another person who said to watch the Paris Opera Ballet. Their dancers are very expressive as well as great technicians. I greatly admire Alessandra Ferri (especially her portrayl of Juliet.) If I think of more I will post them. Oh and for men, ABT's men are always expressive.

Hamorah

I'm a little surprised that no-one has mentioned Natalia Makarova. She was the supreme performer of Odette/Odile in Swan Lake, bringing tears to your eyes. Her interpretation of Juliet and her performance in a Month in the Country are just divine. There are a few extracts on You Tube with Anthony Dowell that are well worth searching for. There is also a film of her as The Dying Swan. And definitely watch Baryshnikov in Don Q - fantastic!!!!!