Ballet Talk for Dancers

February Frustrations

swantobe

Well...let's see...as for the age thing - I started dancing en pointe when I was 50 years (yes), and that was about 5 years ago. :)

It does sound like the Almaz is a bit too square for your foot - have you tried the Saphirs or even the entradas? The entradas are a bit more tapered than the Saphirs, and they do not have any wings. If I was you, I'd try the Saphirs.

As for the modifications, the shoes fit perfectly - until I start to break them in, and the boxes start to break down around my third class. As I make the modifications, they continue to fit.

I started using Freed Bullshorns (last three classes) and I'm going to post my thoughts on those shoes in the "everything freed" post in the pointe shoe topics on the board, but basically I feel the profile is a bit too high (just a wee bit, in fact, it might not be too high in the summer when my feet get more swollen), but the wings of the Freeds are very stiff and are causing blisters on my feet about a 1/8 inch above where my fifth toe starts. I'll have to see what Clara has to say about that, there may be a way to break in the wings so that they don't cause the blisters.

The other shoes I've worn have been (I'm listing them in the order that I liked them), Grishko 2007 Pro Flex (shank doesn't last long enough), Grishko 2007 Pro, Grishko 2007 standard, (proflie too low) RP Entrada (platform too small, shoe too tapered), RP Polette (profile too high), Sansha Lyrica (just too much shoe) Gamba 93, Gamba 97, (the Gambas were a bit too square, but the worse part of them is the squeak), Bloch Axioms (vamp was too long), Bloch Morphs (box too square), Gaynors (too square), Chacott (too soft, vamp too short), Bloch Serenades (box too tapered) Bloch Heritage (never could find a balance in them) Bloch Axis (same problem as the Heritage) and Principal - can't remember the style, the profile was too high.

Whew! I didn't realize I've tried so many shoes! Anyway, I'm happy with my Saphirs, and if Clara can resolve the Freed issues, they will be my second shoes that I'm happy with.

I have slightly tapered feet, medium to medium low profile, average to semi-long toes, very high instep and high arch.

I hope this helps!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancepig

• Serendipity

• Gayle

• swantobe

LOL! Having seen your list, it heartens me. I haven't tried NEARLY as many as you have, but there's always the wonder if there will ever be the perfect shoe....

It took me five years to get through that many shoes, and I've given several pairs (those worn once or twice) to students that could use them. :thumbsup:

Blurgh............ I'm sick, and in the midst of deadlines... no class for me at all this week.

I think due to the fact that I was always carrying a heavy schoolbag when I was a kid, plus I was using a one-shouldered bag for 10 years until last year, my left shoulder is so overdevelopped. Added to the fact that when I started ballet I have always had a hunched shoulder, and nobody really managed to corrected me (yes they place me in the correct posture then walk away without explaining it), it has just been so tight.

I've started being able to feel it in the last few months, especially in pirouettes.

But last week it has gone sooooo tight that it had been so painful and radiated down to my lower back and up my neck into my head.

I've had to take the last week off dancing. I went to my osteopath/massage therapist who released some tension, but the tension have sprung back even more. Argh!!!

Seeing my therapist again today. Hopefully this will be sorted out. I've only just started feeling I'm making some progress in class and now another set back. Eek!!

Fish

Chinafish - is it possible for you to get to a pilates class? There are a lot of exercises we do in my pilates class that might help you with your shoulder/back issues.

Hi Chinafish,

I have terrible trouble with tight shoulders and back from car accident's and scoliosis. I found a Physiotherapist/Acupuncturist and it was the best relief for tension ever. The acupuncture (although I was nervous at first) gave instant relief. Maybe it's something that would work for you?

Hope it gets better soon.

I am the newest to ballet in my class, and i feel embarrassed that im having trouble keeping up..Just wish i was as good as everyone else.

AIC - don't feel embarrassed. We were all the new "kid" in class at some point, so your classmates have been there. One of the best things about ballet classes for adults is that there's rarely judgment by our peers. I'm sure your classmates are so busy worrying about learning the combinations themselves that they don't notice if you have trouble. If you're unsure of the technique, a step, or a combination after the teacher has explained it, hang back after class and ask him/her to go through it with you again. Keep at it, and you'll keep getting better and better! (And welcome to BT4D!)

My frustrations for tonight:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you don't know what you're doing or aren't going to move during a combination, please get out of my way! And when at a portable barre, please don't grab it so hard it shakes and moves on almost every exercise.

I also noticed something. There is a younger student in our adult class who recently started ballet, so even though she's a teenager, she's basically at the same level as the beginning adults. I noticed that our teacher will take time to teach her ballet etiquette (ie, hold your placement in your group when moving across the floor) but doesn't comment when the true adults infringe on another's space. I wish the corrections could be explained to everyone when necessary. It'd make me much less annoyed, anyway! :pinch:

Sometimes, teaching freshmen is dangerous. I've been out of class for almost 2 weeks due to illness. Will try, gently, to go back tomorrow. My own students have had everything from bronchitis to H1N1 to whooping cough to a stomach flu to.... it's been ridiculous this year!

Big toe = bad hurt, pain, etc. Joint, apparently. Shoes that I thought would work didn't - so I am now hurting. Going back to Gaynors till I can get re-fitted and given a NEW pair of shoes. Going to try Grishkos that were fitted and felt pretty good in the store. Awaiting their arrival. I never had this sort of pain with the Gaynors but never felt secure in them, either. *sigh*

AIC - don't feel embarrassed. We were all the new "kid" in class at some point, so your classmates have been there. One of the best things about ballet classes for adults is that there's rarely judgment by our peers. I'm sure your classmates are so busy worrying about learning the combinations themselves that they don't notice if you have trouble. If you're unsure of the technique, a step, or a combination after the teacher has explained it, hang back after class and ask him/her to go through it with you again. Keep at it, and you'll keep getting better and better! (And welcome to BT4D!)

My frustrations for tonight:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you don't know what you're doing or aren't going to move during a combination, please get out of my way! And when at a portable barre, please don't grab it so hard it shakes and moves on almost every exercise.

I also noticed something. There is a younger student in our adult class who recently started ballet, so even though she's a teenager, she's basically at the same level as the beginning adults. I noticed that our teacher will take time to teach her ballet etiquette (ie, hold your placement in your group when moving across the floor) but doesn't comment when the true adults infringe on another's space. I wish the corrections could be explained to everyone when necessary. It'd make me much less annoyed, anyway! :pinch:

Thank you i am very grateful to have very nice classmates, and a teacher who explains everything very well..Thank you also for your kind words.