Ballet Talk for Dancers

North Carolina Dance Theatre Pre-Pro Division

tinkrbellfaerie

• Administrators

Tinkerbell, have you read everything we have here on this forum about it? The information is on the thread North Carolina Dance Theatre trainee/apprentice programs.

I didn't realize it was under the Trainee/Apprenticeship program. Is it? I also missed anything specifically about "Conservatory."

• Administrators

It is talking about the school, and that is all we have on that school at this time.

The Conservatory Program is a full day program, but different than the Trainee/Apprentice Program. They do all take some classes together. Call the school - they will be happy to explain.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I've been accepted into the Conservatory Program for NCDT and I was wondering just how well is it? Has anyone been to their sommer intensives or conservatory/year-round programs?.. I have also been accepted into Orlando Ballet Academy but I just would like some good advice and opinions from both schools. Like the pros and cons from each. I am 17, I've been dancing for 10 years and I am looking for professional places to train with.

Thank you so much!

CRdancer! :)

There are dedicated threads regarding Apprentices and Trainees for NCDT that you should review. When DD was an Apprentice there a few years back, Conservatory students trained with Trainees and Apprentices for most classes, but did not receive as many performance opportunities with the company. They have their own performances as a school, however. Those students in Conservatory were mostly still in high school.

They are in a brand new building, however, with more studios, and I understand a change in Administration, so classes may be organized differently now. They are very helpful in the office, so get the details. DD enjoyed her time there.

• Administrators

CRdancer, I moved your thread into this one so that we don't have two threads on the same program. Unfortunately, there is not much information on the Conservatory program. There is a lot more about the school on the Trainnee/Apprentice thread. I will leave this thread open though, as perhaps more information will be forthcoming.

The information on the Orlando program will be found on this forum too. The Schools are listed in alphabetical order.

Ok thank you for moving it :) and I'm sorry if I placed it in the wrong place, I'm new here :wink: so I'm still getting the hang of it.

Mmm.. But is the Trainee/Aprentice Program similar to the Conservatory Program?

Conservatory is an all-day program (well, morning and afternoon with breaks). Therfore it is similar to the Trainee/Apprentice. It's sort of like three different levels of the same program. The facilitators name was Allison when we were there, and she can answer any questions. I would find out how many dancers are in each level this year, and what they anticipate for next year. Also ask if the levels will train together.

• 11 months later...

Can anyone contribute information about where to live during a year 'round program at NCDT? Cost of renting? Host families?

My 18 yo daughter, if accepted, might move to Charlotte, but the dance director said the person who helps students find housing has left for another job. The director didn't have much to offer in the way of housing (she was helpful, but didn't have info on hand).

[And, yes, this is cross posted with the Trainee/Aprentice NCDT thread since I don't know which my daughter might be accepted to.]

• 2 months later...

We too are trying to find out info on housing costs, transportation, where to live in proximity to the NCDT facilities. 17 yo DD mulling over traineeship offer, and we're trying to gather as much info as possible on how this could work. What about college presence there in case she wants to take a college course or two to start that process as well? Anyone out there have experience/advice to offer?

You may wish to look at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte to see if they still have their Partnership program with NCDT and if it will work with the program your DD is considering. My information is too old to share, but there was a program in place when DD visited there.

Thank you, Momof3!!