Ballet Talk for Dancers

Gray (Grey) Footless Opaque Tights for Boys' Class??

socadanseur

Hello, I have a male teenager starting ballet class. The instructor has informed us that we need to purchase gray/grey footless opaque tights.

Almost everything that I'm finding are either black or white tights & I'm not interested in going through the dyeing process. Which brand(s) offer the tights that we need?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm hoping to find something from one of the large dancewear companies. The instructor referred us to a local dance shop that carries a generic brand that feels pretty flimsy. Sincere thanks but the search continues...

My son has ordered gray tights here:

http://www.tutu.com/dwear_menstights.html - Scroll down to Mirella tights.

The Mirella tights are thicker and not as see-through as the M. Stevens. They are footed, but you can slit the foot and roll them, if your instructor finds that acceptable.

I see that M Stevens has the Milliskin footless tights. Are they really see through? Do you or anyone else have experience with them?

Thanks!

Have you visited the We Love Colors website? The company sells high-quality M. Stevens miliskin tights in a variety of colors. Yumiko also offers excellent and colorful dance-wear products; though they are slightly more expensive than M. Stevens, they are also thicker and more comfortable in my experience. That said, I wear grey "Mens Footed Performance Tights" from We Love Colors to ballet classes several times a week and they're my favorite pair. Good luck!

I have not found M. Stevens tights to be see-through.

I've not had any problems with M. Stevens tights either.

Same here, the black M.Stevens is certainly not see thru. However, I understand that the white M.Stevens may be see thru though!

Tutu.com will dye M. Stevens tights for $7 per pair, possibly less for a batch. That is still cheaper than many others.

A few years ago, I had some fairly short life (6 to 12 months, weekly wearing and washing) from the grey Mirella tights - ripped open at the crotch. I don't know of they've fixed that problem or not - I hope so, they were otherwise fine performers. My M. Stevens have never had a problem, and some of them are four+ years old with weekly wearing and washing.

I've used black, white, and dark green M. Stevens tights. All weighed the same (4.5 oz for the XL size) so I assume they are all the same Milliskin material. The dark colors are quite opaque, but the white ones are really white and I have to wear two pair to be comfortably opaque. I've only done that once; a most wonderful lady my age insists on wearing all white to class between Memorial Day and Labor Day and I matched her last spring - once. :lol:

OK, I found a pair of custom footless M Stevens tights that are dyed medium-gray & made with the fabric inside-out so that they're not shiny.

Now a question & please forgive my ignorance...

The tights will be worn pulled high over the torso & the socks are long. How are they both kept from going down during lessons?

Thanks again everyone!

I never had a problem with socks falling down, but for tights I sewed elastic onto the waistband in the manner of suspenders to keep them up. I believe clip-on elastic suspenders are available, but if they're sewn, you can't forget them. :clapping: The elastic should be the same colour as the shirt (or leotard if you prefer) typically white.

Now a question & please forgive my ignorance...

The tights will be worn pulled high over the torso & the socks are long. How are they both kept from going down during lessons?

get a piece of 1" or 1.5" elastic big enough to go around your son's waist. Sew it or tie it into a belt. Roll the tights waistband over that a couple times to keep them up. You can also use a stretchy belt if you can find one in the store.