Ballet Talk for Dancers

Bumps?

Guest CopaCabannaGirl

These can be from several different causes. One is simple contact dermatitis, which is nothing more than irritation of the skin caused by friction. This is the most common sort. There are other bumps caused by eruptions on the achilles tendon, and these are nothing to play with. A doctor should be consulted immediately if there's any pain at all associated with the swelling.

Certainly. especially if the back of the shoe is too tight against your heel. It's a lot like surfer's knots, really. They're caused by too much knee-paddling. The rubbing causes a bump to form.

Guest CopaCabannaGirl

I have a question about the buddy board! Ok do you still have to buddy board? If so do I only have to have 10 more posts? I am sorry if this was inappropriate

• Administrators

That might help, however it is also possible that the shoes do not fit properly. If they are too short for you, loosening the drawstring will not help. Keep in mind that this problem CAN also be caused by street shoes, not only pointe shoes.

• Administrators

When you have been here at least 14 days, and have 30 posts you may request that your Buddy Board privileges be activated. Just post it here. There is a Buddy Board thread, either here or on the other YD forum.

And one other thing about swellings, etc. The modern physician still uses a principle founded in Ancient Roman medicine - The Principles of Celsus. Swelling, heat, pain, and redness, and that's the basic sign of infection! So, if you've been resting your feet, and you still have all those symptoms, it's an infection, and definitely time for the doc! Street shoes are actually probably a greater cause of knots on the heel than ballet shoes. See if you can find shoes with a softer counter (heel area) than you're currently wearing. I bet that will help.

And yes, we still do have the Buddy Board, and you should be eligible for it in pretty short order, what with 21 posts. :)

• Administrators

There is another thing that sometimes causes a bump on the back of the heel. Bursitis. This is a little sac called the bursa that sometimes gets irritated, also from shoes usually, and fills with fluid, causing the swelling, redness and bump. Sometimes taking away the offending shoes will cause it to go away, but if it doesn't, then it will need to be treated by a doctor. So, if there is continued pain in that area over a period of time the answer is definitely see a physician or a podiatrist and find out what it is and what to do about it!