Ballet Talk for Dancers

Virginia Governor's School for the Arts

learningdance

learningdance

Has anyone heard about the VA governor's school for the arts and its success in preparing kids for professional dance? Anyone have a kid there?

Edited by learningdance
Momof3darlings

Is the Virginia Governor's School of the Arts the same as Virginia School of the Arts? If so, we have some threads on Virginia School of the Arts here already.

Momof3darlings

Thank you dancemaven, I thought it was but was not sure. :thumbsup:

ConstanzaElisabeth

GSA is a wonderful place! I had the opportunity to get to know the school while I was working with TRDance, a company that shares the space. The kids at GSA were some of the most versatile students I've seen, and the choreography that gets set on them is exciting and challenging. Ballet is a focus there, but it is not the main point of the school. Ballet majors supplement their training in outside studios during evening class hours. They do have some fabulous ballet teachers and have turned out quite nice ballet dancers-I know one last year accepted a traineeship with Richmond ballet. The facilities are nice, with studios that can convert into a really wonderful performance space. They train in all styles and are all very motivated and excited to be there, which shows in their abilities onstage to do incredible things. Feel free to ask questions; if I can't answer them, I can ask those who know!