Ballet Talk for Dancers

enjoyballet

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the University of Georgia's BFA program for Dance majors? The price tag for out of state students looks rather pricey but no different than the other colleges that we have on the list so far. :wacko:

Thanks in advance,

enjoy ballet

Victoria Leigh

I went to the website and could not find anything at all about the Dance program. Do you have a link that would give me more information?

enjoyballet

Thanks Ms. Leigh,

I'll try to paste this link properly. Perhaps it is only a dance major, not a ballet major, but there seems to be pointe, pas, etc. Joan Buttram is listed as the Ballet coordinator for the department who has an MFA from TCU.

http://www.franklin.uga.edu/dance/programs/index.htm

Thanks,

enjoy ballet

Victoria Leigh

Looks like there is ballet there, but don't think it is a major. What other programs are on your list?

dolphingirl792

This may not be the proper place to post this, but what you said about majoring in ballet, Ms. Leigh, sparked my curiosity. If I am mainly interested in ballet, is it better to find a school where I can specifically major in ballet? Or do many dance programs that offer just a BFA in Dance, like the University of Georgia, have strong ballet programs?

Victoria Leigh

I would suggest looking for a program that has a major in ballet.

enjoyballet

Ms. Leigh,

To answer your earlier question, DD has a range of schools on her list, but to hear her describe it, she wants a very, very strong ballet program, but wants to take modern and jazz classes too. Her teachers are telling her that she is a versatile dancer, so I thnk she feels she needs to explore that option, but ballet is her true love.

Victoria Leigh

Then she needs to be thinking in terms of the major programs. Indiana, Butler, SMU, SUNY Purchase, Utah, U of Oklahoma, and some others we have talked about on this forum.

enjoyballet

Thanks Ms. Leigh; I do have a spreadsheet of your list of the strong programs and have been investigating them first and foremost. :thumbsup: It is her second major that led me to thoughts of University of Georgia and I was hopeful that maybe Mom and Dad could be happy with their strength in her plan B major and daughter could be happy with their plan A opportunities. It was just a dream......

Thanks,

enjoy ballet

dancemaven

As you visit and ask questions at the colleges, please do remember to ask about the ability/feasibility of double majoring with a dance major. It simply is NOT feasible at some programs--and for very good reason. Usually it is a matter of the time issues involved in scheduling courses/classes. There are only so many hours in a day and classes/rehearsals/labs conflict.

For instance, I'm pretty sure a couple of the programs listed above will tell you that a second major is not feasible, but a minor (depending on what it is) maybe. At some of these programs, it is possible for a dance major to participate in the Honors Program; at others, it is not. Again, it is matter of the physical time and scheduling of classes that create the block.

Once we understood that it is a physical time issue ---and not an issue of time management/dedication---it made more sense why double majors are sometimes not possible. This typically occurs in the conservatory model programs.

eskimopieo

My dd was accepted into the dance program at UGA but ultimately opted to go elsewhere. Here is what I know about their dance program:

When she attended a visitation day last fall and met with someone from the dance department, she was told that the ballet performance group currently had 6 members. I know it was much larger in the past, but recently more focus has been put on the contemporary/modern side of the dance program, which also includes aerial work.

The audition itself included ballet class followed by some modern and jazz. Parents and dancers then attended a short presentation on the university's program which included performances by members of the ballet ensemble, contemporary company, and aerial dancers. After a light lunch, dancers were called in one at a time to perform a 1-3 minute long solo and interview with faculty.

Although there is not a specific ballet major, there are two tracks within the dance major. After an evaluation (I don't know if this is decided from the audition or during a later placement class) the students are assigned either to the ballet track or the contemporary track. Dd's dance department acceptance letter was received before her university acceptance, but the letter did not note to which track she had been assigned.

It is possible to double-major, and I believe most of the university dancers we met on audition day were doing so. However, it is likely to be easier to work out the scheduling and core curriculum overlap/conflicts within the College of Arts and Sciences.

UGA Dance Department website

carlyeeeeee

Does anyone have any updated info about this program?

Momof3darlings

carlyeeeee --possibly you will get more information on College Confidential about UGA's Dance Department. BUT, for the parents who have information, it might be helpful for you to post the questions you have and then they can answer those. "Update" could mean anything.

carlyeeeeee

Okay thank you! If anyone knows anything about this program, what is the level of the dancers? And how much pointe and ballet do they have each week?

Jessicaballet

To anyone who has auditioned or attended in the past- can you go more in depth about the audition process and your overall experience in the program?

Also, it would be great to contact anyone personally in the program if I am accepted and choose to attend. Feel free to message me!