Ballet Talk for Dancers

Tour En L'Air

apfenech

I have a problem on my air turns and for the life of me can not fix it. I have landed them occasionally (just singles...almost a double a few times turning counter-clockwise) though the problem has been persistant. It is this:

When I turn, instead of getting vertical -l- in the air, I get a little off axis -\- in the air.

I also notice that I tend to land on one foot then the other

Occasionally, I'll throw my shoulder (the one I'm turning toward), but I can't figure out how to fix it.

I'm not sure if this is a specific problem anyone has had or knows how to fix, but I thought I'd ask. I happens also when I do just half turns.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

OK, here is my mantra - when preparing for the tour, say to yourself,

Jump STRAIGHT UP with GREAT VIGOR!

Usually just thinking that will put you into the correct alignment while in the air.

And welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! :P

Thank you. That has helped a little bit, but I still get off axis just a little bit and tend to land more on one foot then the other. I will use your advice though, and those given on other Tour En L'Air forums, and practice practice practice.

Yes, yes, yes! That's the answer, and don't forget a proper fifth position to start - weight evenly distributed on both feet! If you are truly going STRAIGHT UP, then when you come STRAIGHT DOWN, the weight will be in the right places.

PS. And don't forget GREAT VIGOR!

I have a question also regarding an air turn. My teacher has me doing a chaine turn in releve and a chaine turn in plie into a tour en l'air and ending it with an aerial straddle. But I cant seem to do the straddle without first landing the tour doing a plie and then jumping into the toe touch.

Jeez! Is this class content or choreography? You can do that onstage and it will look brilliant, but tell me, how long have you studied? A grand écart en seconde out of a tour en l'air is possible, but it's tough!

Jeez! Is this class content or choreography? You can do that onstage and it will look brilliant, but tell me, how long have you studied? A grand écart en seconde out of a tour en l'air is possible, but it's tough!

This is for my contemporary class. I have been dancing for about 10 years. I am getting it however it's a little sloppy.

OK. great. You're in a classroom environment with your teacher right there. You're getting it. You're going to get the best results if you just keep working on it and follow your teacher's advice. We can't see you, and s/he can!