Ballet Talk for Dancers

Schedule evaluation?

tinydancer1290

Can you please comment on my schedule?

I am 14 and in 8th grade...been dancing for 3.5 years and 3 on pointe.

Monday: 3-5 technique and 1/2 hour pointe

Tues: 4:30-6pm technique

Wed: 5:30-6:30 variations on pointe

Thrus: 4:30-6 tech ( I can do on pointe if I want)

Friday: 3-5pm tech

Sat: off take a private 1 hour about 2x's a month

Sun: off

We live in a place where there are not a lot of options of places to dance....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• Clara 76

• ascballerina

Tinydancer, I've split this off from where you originally posted it, as that was the Parents' forum. Just as we don't allow parents to post to the Young Dancer boards, Young Dancers shouldn't post on the Parents' boards.

Now, that having been said, looks pretty good to me. I would be happier with a technique class before the Wednesday Variations class, in order to make sure that you are completely warmed up for the class content.

How does mine sound?

Monday- technique from 4:00-5:30 then stretch from 5:30 to 6:00

Tuesday-none

Wednesday-pilates from 4:00-5:30

Thursday-technique from 4:00-5:30 then pointe from 5:30 to 6:30

Friday- technique from 4:00-5:00 then pointe from 5:00 to 6:00

Saturday- technique from 12:15-1:45

Sunday-none

Is this OK for a 13 year old. All the class are pretty good quality. I am planning to add a lower level class which I can take on pointe on Tuesdays and a private class soon, would that be Ok?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Change font and size of type.

soccerdancer22, please change your print size. We enjoy your enthusiasm however you are shouting at us with such a large print.

Your schedule looks fine for a young 13 year old student. It will be even better with the additional Tuesday class. As for the private, if it is necessary, use it to brush up on something specific. Regular private lessons are not necessay.

• Administrators

Soccer22dancer, I have changed your font and type size back to normal. Besides the large letters, your signature was taking up way too much space. Please stay with our regular font and size.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

hi! i'm 14, and i was wondering if this schedule looked ok!

Monday: 4:15-5:45 technique en pointe, 5:45-7 modern, 7:30-9:15 rehearsals for upcoming shows(variations)

Tuesdays: pilates 4-5

Wednesday : 4:15-5:45 technique en pointe, 5:45-6:45 tap, 7:15-9:15 rehearsals

Thursday : 4:30-6 technique, 6-7 pointe

Friday: 4:15-5:15 ( I teacher aide a begining ballet class) 5:15-6:15 ( I teacher aide a begining tap class) 6:15-9:15

rehearsals

Saturday : 9:15-10:15 Dance History/Pilates (it rotates) 10:30-12 technique, 12-12:30 pointe, 1-2 jazz, 2-6 rehearsals

Sunday: off* (but i usually end up practicing :yucky:

thanks!

• Administrators

Lisa, it's a bit different, and not one I would personally prefer, but I've seen a lot worse. You get more than a lot of students. I just don't like the technique classes on pointe, and I don't like rehearsals without a technique class first. Your best days, in my opinion, are Thursday and Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I was wondering if you could evaluate this schedule. I have been dancing for almost a year, I'm sixteen, and I'm a male with professional aspirations. The school I'm at has class only three days a week because I take class with younger students cause I started late. I take open class a lot so I can catch up, even though the open classes are more for exercise for most, I try to apply what I learn at school in open class.

Monday

Open ballet class 7-8:30

Tuesday

Ballet Tech 4:15-5:45

Wednesday

Open ballet class 7:00-8:30

Thursday

Open ballet class 5:30-6:30

Open ballet class 7:00-8:30

Friday

Ballet Tech 4:15-5:45

Saturday

Ballet Tech 11:30-1:00

OK, you're starting later, as is not unusual among boy students. You seem to be taking a "sink or swim" type of program. That's fine for now, but as you've been one of us for almost a year, at the end of that year it would be a good idea to see at what level you're currently functioning in a recognized curriculum like Cecchetti, RAD, or a larger-functioning school like PNB or SFB.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just wondering about my schedule. Is it enough?

Monday:

Technique Class- 5-6:30

Modern Reperatory (it's like variations, but for modern)- 6:30-7:30

Pointe- 7:30-8:30

Tuesday:

none

Wednesday:

Technique Class- 5-6:30

Pointe/ Variations- 6:30-7:30

Jazz- 7:30-8:30

Thursday:

Modern- 5:30-6:30

Technique Class- 6:30-8

Friday:

none

Saturdays:

Technique/ Pointe Class- 10-12:30

Lunch- 12:30-1

Rehersals- 1-4ish (it varries)

Thanks

How old are you, dancetutumuch?

Sorry,. I just realized I forgot. I'm 14 years old and in the 8th grade. I've been dancing for about 6 years

OK, at that age, assuming at least an intermediate level of competency in ballet, I'd be happiest with you taking five days with ballet technique, moving toward six. Remember, rehearsal is almost a "null set" when it comes to learning technique.

Okay I agree with you that I should be getting more technique classes each week. I understand that, it's just that there is (at this time) no way for me to get to my studio that is 45 minutes-1 hour away and most of the students are unable to get to the studio more then 4 days/week. Also next year, my schedule won't be any different. I have been accepted to UNCSA's high school ballet program for next year. There I would be taking technique class 5-6 days a week, pointe 5 times and character, pilates, ect. once a week. Would you perfer a residency program with this schedule over my current schedule?