Ballet Talk for Dancers

Reality Series---Joffrey Ballet Trainee Program (Chicago)

Momof3darlings

good thoughts MBF. Documentary, yes! Reality show, not liking it for 3 pages worth of reasons!

I'm curious as to who will determine the winner - will it be people knowledgeable in ballet or a vote for your favorite contestant by the general public.

MamatoMary, don't even get that though out into the universe. They might pick up on it! Terrifying! Dancing with the (Future) Stars~ Ballet Edition! Ten votes per phone line!

pointeprovider

It wasn't clear from the article, but maybe the series is being filmed now, with this year's current trainees, rather than next year's? Does anyone know if this is the case?

pointeprovider, I thought that there were one or two parents of Joffrey Chicago trainees on this board. If they are not comfortable posting maybe they would email one of the mods with their thoughts?

Momof3darlings

There is some differing reports as to who the Reality series will really be about, there are some reports that it will not be the Trainees but the company itself followed. It's hard to decipher since we have a published report that seems to be discussing Trainees. I think probably a deep breath and a time will tell is in order.

The article says it will be like "project runway." On that show, the judges make the decision about who will stay and who will go. There is no call in vote. However, there is always producer imput and someone with an interesting personality will be retained to keep people watching.

I have learned a lot about design from watching "Project Runway." Just as I have learned a lot about cooking from watching "Top Chef." I certainly hope a show like this will educate the viewer about ballet, dance companies, and ballet technique.

I will watch it. I love these kinds of reality shows. You have to keep in mind however that the end result for the producers is not the dancer receiving the company position. The end goal for the producer is ratings, and ad revenues and a new show for the next year. So any trainees participating in this show need to keep in mind that not winning is not necessarily a reflection on their dance skills, it means they weren't entertaining TV.

I agree with trythis, and I welcome this idea. If this show is produced similarly to Project Runway and Top Chef it could do quite a lot in terms of raising awareness of ballet in America. The judging panels on those shows are highly credentialed professionals with well known reputations in their fields. I can envision famous choreographers and ballet stars as guest judges. The other thing I like about those shows is there is very little filmed off site, or after hours, of the competition. The majority of the show is the reality of the contestants completing the given challenges, their work process, ideation, etc. with no tacky theatrics a la America's Top Model.

It could be fascinating and if this show could cause some to become newly fascinated with ballet, it would mean they might buy tickets to a performance! :flowers:

My big question is how do they plan to edit the show? Are they hoping to capture cattiness in competitions to make it more "interesting"? Will producers try to create bitterness in order to label someone in an unfavorable light in editing? For example, dancer A will be labeled "The B****", dancer B can be the "Baby" and C will be 'The Troublemaker", etc. and then have these labels follow them through their careers? Reality shows manipulate situations to make compelling television. The article states that they are shopping it around to such outlets as MTV and Oxygen (which have brought us such quality programming as Tool Academy and The Bad Girls Club).

happyfeet24

Just would like to let you know that the reality show is not happening. Not sure how the article was written because there is no truth in it. Ashley Wheater had a meeting with the trainees on Saturday before their performance and informed them of this fact. My daughter is a trainee, that is how I am aware of this.