momtodancer Posted March 19, 2010 Report Share Posted March 19, 2010 (edited) Hi, I'm newly registered here and so I hope I am not posting in the wrong place! My daughter was asked in the fall to audition for the RWB by her ballet teacher. We live in a very small town in a northern community. This was a new teacher to our town who commuted from a larger center. She said we could make a DVD audition and send it in if we were interested. I thought about it and never imagining that my daughter would be accepted, we made the DVD for the experience, and because my daughter loves dance. I sent in the DVD, even without the letter of recommendation from a teacher (the one who recommended her ended up moving and could not submit a letter for various reasons). But, because it was for the experience of auditioning, I wasn't worried about it and it didn't bother me that we didn't have a letter. The school emailed me and asked if I had a letter of recommendation, but that I would have until May 2010 to get one. Having no way to get one (her other dance teacher would not write one, again for various reasons), I just left it. Well they emailed me 2 days later stating that they had made a decision. On Monday we had a letter of acceptance for the summer session to the professional program. Well, my daughter just turned 10. I cannot imagine sending her away to live in residence, possibly for the remainder of her childhood (although I would consider it if she were older). She loves dance and part of her would love to go, but she also says it would be too hard for her to be away from home. I was totally unprepared for her to be accepted. I knew my daughter loved ballet but never imagined that dancing in a professional school for her could be a possibility, it never crossed my mind. So now I am feeling completely turned upside down ... worried that by turning down the offer I am closing an important door that will never exist for her again (I don't know how these things work!), but sending her away at 10 to live in a residency does not feel right at this point in time either. Has anyone else had to make a similar decision? I will be reading and learning from this forum to see what might be possible for her in the future. Edited March 20, 2010 by momtodancer Quote Link to comment
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.