Ballet Talk for Dancers

Colleges in California

Guest StickyNicky

Guest StickyNicky

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows of any Universities in California that have both a really good dance program (focusing on ballet), and good academics? (not that a university would have a good academic program!) I don't care how hard it is to get in, I just really want to know what's out there. I'm going to graduate in 2003 and am trying to figure out where to go afterwards, and how to get there.

Thanks, Nicky.

:)

• Administrators

Hello Nicky, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert! Online :)

I'm not very familiar with the CA colleges, but I think there are some others here who will have some information for you. The best known ballet programs seem to be Indiana, Butler, SMU, U. of Oklahoma, SUNY Purchase, and Utah. But there are a lot of other good programs too. I would suggest that you order the Dance Magazine College Guide, which is a good source of information about all the colleges and universities in the country which have dance programs.

Guest StickyNicky

Thanks for replying Victoria. I have the college guide and am going through it. I went to a college fair today and found out about The University of the Arts in Philidelphia. Does anyone know anything about this program? Or about UC Irvine? (I also heard that this ones good... but it's nice to hear from people who have gone there or know some one who does/did. Thanks everyone. :( Oh, this is very exciting! (This place I mean!) Hehe. I'm a dork I know... I've come to accept this fact of life! :P

Nicky

Guest Portia

Hey Nicky- I'm going to Stanford University (Located in Palo Alto right outside of San Francisco) next year, and in my opinion it has one of the best dance programs of universities that are Ivy Caliber - not to be confused with one of the best ballet programs in general. Obviously Stanford is known for its academics, but the dance program is good too - they offer ballet as a main focus and then other kinds of dance such as african, tap, and jazz in addition. There are some GREAT teachers and they bring in lots of guest artists. I'm really excited about going (unless i defer at last minute), so this might be a school to check out.