Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancer_ballet

Shorter Professional Dancers

dancer_ballet

Does anybody know how tall Tiler Peck is?

Clara 76

Why do you ask, dancer_ballet?

lorrainegd

I have read that at 14 she was a mere 4' 10" but cannot find a definative answer to her current height. There are estimates here on BT that she may be somewhat less than 5'2" or 5'1". Don't know if that helps your curiosity.

ballet22luvr

Really!? WOW! I saw her play Aurora yesterday in Sleeping Beauty and she looked atleast 5'4''! She didn't look REALLY TALL but she didn't look really small. But that's cool because I'm a short dancer also!!! :thumbsup::blink: (5 foot right now)

Marga

Tiler Peck is 5'5". She said so herself on a website. She was a few inches smaller as a teenager (I remember when she was 5'2"), but grew and has been 5'5" for a few years. You can go to her myspace page (it's public) and see for yourself.

edited to add:

TimeOut New York just published a wonderful, lengthy interview with Tiler Peck. She happens to mention her height in it, saying "I was the shortest in the company and now I’m definitely not. I think I’m 5'5" and a half."

Tiler Peck interview

ballet22luvr

Does Anyone know how tall Ashley Bouder is? She looks tall on stage, but I''ve heard she is 5''1'.

Thanks!

Ballet22luvr

dancer093

she is 5"5'

little_dancer123

I'm just wondering how many professionals are small, 5'3 and under?

I know that Paloma is 5'2 and Alina Cojocaru is 5'1, does anyone know of any more? I'm sure there are plenty, I just don't know anyone else's exact heights!!

Thanks everyone!

little_dancer123 x :thumbsup:

deuxballerines

Sarah Lane, soloist for ABT (and model for Suffolk) and and SFB principal Tina LeBlanc, who is retiring this year, are two who come immediately to mind. You can google each of those to read interesting interviews in which these dancers talk specifically about the challenges and benefits of being petite in the ballet world.

Clara 76

Let's remember that many different things go into making a professional dancer. You will find that there are professional ballet dancers on the short end of height, and on the tall end. You will find dancers with banana feet, and with virtually flat feet.

I think what's best is to focus on yourselves and on developing into the best dancer you can be!! I've seen girls who have had everything "perfect" not be able to make a career out of this, and I've seen girls with many challenges get a contract.

Since you can't possibly hope to scientifically quantify the exact formula, all you can do is focus on why you are dancing. Get the best possible training, and while I don't want you to compare yourself to other dancers, you do need to be sure you're at a similar level of technical skills and physical facility. Beyond that, it's in the stars!

crazyforballet

I think it's fascinating though to know how tall the professionals are. It's a given in the professional sporting world that the height of athletes are listed in their bios, so why not dancers?

cakers

This is interesting to me as the mother of a petite dancer, who at 12 years old is only 4'10". My calculation is that with luck she may top out at 5'2" or 5'3" and since she wants to be a professional dancer, I'm afraid this may hurt her. Sure, not if she's good enough to be a soloist or principal, but I'm already finding that in her current studio, there seems to be some heighth discrimination when it comes to group numbers because they often want a uniform look. My daugther is advanced for her age, so is in with the older, bigger dancers, but she often gets excluded from certain numbers and I'm fairly certain that it's mainly due to her size. So, my concern is that if she never makes it out of the corps, she may experience the same thing she does now, being excluded because of her size.

Clara 76

And if one is a shorter dancer, one may need to look beyond the 3-letter companies.

deuxballerines

cakers, when my oldest dd was in creative movement at a school associated with a solid regional company, there was a young dancer, who was about 12 years old, very tiny and very gifted. She definitely had no counterpart in her class, barely reaching the shoulder of the next shortest dancer, and so she frequently didn't fit with the choreography. I had not thought of her in years until recently, when I was scrolling through the pictures and bios of company dancers on the website of a pretty large ballet company. There she was.

balletgirl22sk

My dd is a little under 5 2". She has been dancing professionally since she graduated from high school. She has been told at an open audition by the AD, "I really like you- you are a beautiful dancer. Why aren't you taller?"