Ballet Talk for Dancers

Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet

Well, folks, what about it? Any students want to take the plunge about school life here? Parents? TEACHERS? :)

It's been awhile and we could use some news.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nymom

• Gracegirlz

• Emjay

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I know this program is fairly new, but does anyone know if any of the older GKA students have successfully auditioned for and secured any company/apprentice positions?

• 1 month later...

Ditto to the previous requests. We would really love to hear about the program first-hand from dancers attending year round!

• 1 month later...

Putting another call out for input on the GKA program. Hoping to hear a little bit about the year around program in preparation for the SI my DD is doing there this summer. Please share!

I don't know anything about the year-round program, but in case you're not following their blog, it's been recently revamped and is fairly active:

They are regularly posting "dancer perspectives" on there, so that might also give you an idea of the school, plus there was a recent post about a new dancer's perspective about the SI.

We are counting the days until the Jr. dance SI!

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Edited to remove blog link. Sorry, but it we allow that one, then every school can have their marketing material posted and linked here.

Thanks Duldancers. I have explored the blog and it looks like a great window on what's going on at GKA. I was hoping we could convince a current student or parent of DK to share on the board too.

Would also like to hear perspectives on the year round program. My child did 3 weeks of the 5 week pre-pro SI last year and loved it; very noticeable improvement in technique and energy. Doing same this year.

so glad to hear about the blog. will check it out right away.

DD (15) is doing 4 weeks of the rep program starting June 11.

Keep in mind that school site blogs are primarily marketing and don't really provide reports or shares of 'the good, the bad, and the ugly'. :wink:

Apparently, given the number of encouragements and calls for the sharing of personal experiences, we must not have any members who have dancers at the year-round program or are comfortable sharing their experiences. Hopefully, perhaps at some point we will.

Keep in mind that school site blogs are primarily marketing and don't really provide reports or shares of 'the good, the bad, and the ugly'. :wink:

Well, that's a very good piont. :unsure:

Sorry, Ms. Leigh, about posting the link - I must've had a big "duh" moment when I did that. Thanks for keeping me in line!

• Administrators

That's okay, Dualdancers. :) We discussed it a bit before I killed it, as it has some things that are interesting. But, the bigger problem is that if we do that for one academy, we have to do it for any and all, and they really are mostly marketing.

Hi All! Sorry I somehow missed your posts. My DD is a year round GKA student, so I will be happy to attempt to answer any questions.

DD attended the pre-pro intensive last summer, and then stayed for the year. For her, the training has been excellent and the program is a very good fit in terms of what my DD likes. Dancers receive a lot of attention and corrections, and any technique problems are addressed with advcie on how to correct them. GKA is a focused, disciplined program and the dancers are expected to do the work. Each day begins with a class called Core Dynamics which is designed to strengthen the dancers to help avoid injury. This is followed by a technique class. Additional classes include pointe, variations, character, Bournonville, and acting. There is also a Wellness Coordinator who conducts classes on health-related matters. This year, students that needed housing were placed in a dorm in Brooklyn. I am not certain if they will be using the same facility next year. There were two performances for the students this year - one in December and the other just last week. Both performances were held at Symphony Space and were lovely programs. DD will be attending the Pre-Pro intensive this summer and plans to return again in the Fall to train year round.

That's a quick overview. Let me know if you are looking for specific information.

If I may ask a few questions for a good friend? She is thinking of having her 11 yr old audition for the pre-professional program. Do you know anything about the after school program? This fall (had she stayed at our current school) she would be starting pointe so placement at a new school is tricky since so many school seem to want/require a year of their technique before starting pointe. Any info would be great, although I realize your DD is much older :blush: and is (comparatively) in a different world!

Thank you!

buzzandmoo:

Yes, my DD is older so I am not familiar with GKA's policy regarding starting pointe for their students. The one aspect I can speak to is that when a student begins at the school, their strengths and weaknesses are evaluated. Both Ms. Kirkland and Mr. Chernov are very approachable, and are willing to discuss a student's training. I would suggest your friend's DD audition for the program and then see what they have to say. I'm sure they would be looking at the dancer's strength and readiness to begin pointe, as well as their technique.