Ballet Talk for Dancers

torn ligament?

Guest Anna

hi,

today i auditioned for a dance college and we had to do long ballet class that was very enjoyable. however, after the barre exercises the teacher asked us to go into the splits which is usually no problem for me as i havd done lots of plies at the barre and stretched myself in my own time. but when i went into the splits i heard almost a tear in the back of my legs, a click and then a shooting pain. it was a feeling that i had never expeeienced before and afterwards my leg just went numb. i contined with the ballet class and the jazz class then went to see a physiotherapists who told me not to worry. on the train home my leg started to ache unbelievably, shake and feel really heavy. do you think that i have done something serious that a doctor should see or should i just rest it. could i have torn a ligamnet. i'd appreciate any help!

Anna

Anna, sorry to hear about the injury!:( Tonight, apply some RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation to the painful area and if by tomorrow, it doesn't feel any better, then limp, don't run, to your nearest physician, in order to minimize any possible damage that may have been done. For about the first 72 hours after the initial injury, you're still in the acute phase, when the most can be done to limit ill effects.

my leg feels ok now when i am just walking around, but when i did ballet i could feel it pulling and it felt uncomfortable and tight. how far should i push myself at ballet tomorrow so that i can stay flexible but not do any damage to my leg??my leg doesn't feel very flexible at the moment and i don't like that feeling!!!

thanx

Anna

• Administrators

You don't push at all, Anna! Test it, but if it does not want to stretch then DON'T push it! There are several things that might have happened, and if it is still bad tomorrow I think you should find out what the damage is and what you can do about it. It could be a ligament, could also be the hamstrings. Need to know in order to know if you can work at all or not. If it is considerably better by tomorrow, and you can do most things without pain, then go ahead, but don't force it to do anything it does not want to do or you will just make it worse.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anna

hi, i've just had my injury checked out by a dance physio (i was seeing a sports physio before who was not particularly helpful) and he said that the problem is that i have a very stiff lower back and pelvis area- i was shocked by this as i have always been very flexible with splits etc- and that is where my problem lies. apparently the rest of my body has been trying to compensate for my pelvis and lower backs lack of flexiblilty, and i can now feel it pulling in my leg- has anyone else ever had a similar problem and if so, did it get better? the physio syas that it will get better and that when it does i will be more flexible than before- i'd appreciate hearing fom anyone with a similar injury!!

thanks

Anna