Ballet Talk for Dancers

SI cancelled at local studio

deloris

I am not sure that I am posting to the right forum; so, if you need to move this posting then I can understand completely. My daughter has been doing a ballet intensive program for the last 7 1/2 years. She is now 12 years old with 2 years of pointe behind her. We were told last night that we are not having the SI at her local studio which we are incredibly loyal too. They do encourage their dancers to go away as well during the Summer. The problem I have having is that I now have no where for my daughter to attend this Summer. I do not want her to sit cold and not dance at all durning the Summer as she is getting pretty good. I do believe in my daughter's ability, but I am NOT a pagent mom so so speak. We live near Atlanta. I am just wondering if I can get her into any programs at this late juncture. She will also be going back to public school in 7th grade this upcoming year as I have homeschooled her the last 3 years. I just don't want her to have to adjust to a new schedule with school and ballet next Fall. So I need to make sure she stays as fit as possible over the Summer. I am pondering as to what my alternatives are at this point. Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Deloris, since you are local, I would not be surprised if she could still attend one of the Atlanta Ballet programs. I would call them and ask if she could still audition in a class at the school. There are also a number of other programs around. Where are you located? The Dancers Studio in Alpharetta (Jonnie Kelly's school, also Atlanta Dance Theatre) has a 3 week program in June. I teach there and will be doing the 3rd week. There are open classes at Duluth Ballet, and a one week intensive there, and also at Lawrenceville School of Ballet, June21-25, which is the same week I will be teaching at Jonnie Kelly's. But I will be doing some open classes at Duluth throughout the summer, and possibly also at Perimeter Ballet in Johns Creek.

I tried to send you a message, but your inbox was full. I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the guidance you have given us over the years. Over 3 years ago, you sent us to where we are now. My daughter has thirived there to this point. Unfortunately, they are scaling back or not even having a SI this Summer as we orginally thought. The arts are being hit hard right now in this economy. Thus, I am seeking out direction once again for alternatives since she can't attend locally since all the audtions have since past with most deadlines already pasted as well. I was wondering if you had any further direction as to open classes for various studios as well. I think it would benefit her greatly to take from other teachers. I have also called Atlanta Ballet and left a message. We live south of Atlanta in Henry County. However, I am attempting to get a carpool started from this side of town so transportation should not be a problem.

• Administrators

These are the only ones I know about, as I teach at these schools. You might check with Georgia Ballet and see what they have this summer. That is in Marietta, which might be a bit closer for you than this side of the city. I'm sorry to hear that your current school is scaling back, but I understand. I usually teach in FL in the summer, but they had to scale back last summer and this summer too. :P

Thank you for your kind words, and we are always happy to know when we have helped. Sorry about the inbox, but I left it that way intentionally. I hate PM's! And I can always be reached by email just by clicking on the Contact Us link. :thumbsup:

We left a message for them yesterday and I am awaiting a phone call. I did hear back from Atlanta Ballet and they still have openings. I just have to submit pictures and a video as well as a Dance Resume. What do I put on a 12 year olds Dance Resume? Any ideas as I know what you do for job resume. Awards? Training where and experience?

• Administrators

There is not a lot to put on a 12 year old's resume, but they will be mainly interested in her training history and performances. Awards are also good to include. :rolleyes:

You might also check Gwinnett Ballet and the Joffrey South program in Milledgeville. While Joffrey South may be full, the younger program is still new and last year this time they did take a few dancers in the older ages. There may also be some spot classes you can pick up at Mainstream Dance in Covington, they usually have a summer camp for their own students.