Ballet Talk for Dancers

What to say?

onpointe2007

So I have posted earlier about being out of ballet for a long time because of a hip injury, and I've been back to dancing for about two months. I am taking classes 5 times a week (with a sixth day for just rehearsal), and all of these classes are one level below I was when I left, except for one, which is two levels below me. I feel like it is not helping me progress back to my original level. I want to talk to the teacher I had in the level I was in before, but I just don't know what to say, and I'm usually bad at trying to come up with a good way to say something in these kind of situations... I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thank You!

onpointe2007

Say, "So how'm I doing?" Then be quiet. Don't let them answer a question with a question - "No, your turn to ask questions comes next. Now answer mine. How'm I doing?"

I agree with Mel. It's time for you to learn how to be assertive- not agressive. There is a difference and learning how to be assertive is an important skill in this profession....

Okay, thank you for the advice. I was just wondering how long it should take to get fully or pretty much fully back to dancing after being injured for 6 months?

There is an old saw that runs, "For every class missed, two are required to make up the shortage." It's not really accurate, and has to be pro-rated if you're taking class that is below your previous level of competency. With what you've told us, I'd reckon that at about six months, you'd be completely recovered, barring any further injury.