Ballet Talk for Dancers

music for audition

utbeth88

Can anyone give me a good idea of what music I can use to give a Classical training/choreo? I must teach some students in an audition a bit of classical training and wanted a piece of music to combine a few sets of exercises together. Please comment. Thank you.

Edited by utbeth88

Are these beginners??? What type of audition is this? Is it for a ballet program?

Im auditioning to do a masters degree in teaching ballet and i will be teaching bachelor students for 20minutes. I have no idea how much they know and wanted to do a combination of exercises all in one exercise so then its a kind of choreo so its not boring for them, i hope this will be ok for them.

• Administrators

I would first find out exactly the level of these students, and also if this is supposed to be a class or choreography, and which part of the class. You can't just go in and do choreography if they have not had at least a barre. If I were auditioning you for a teaching degree, I would want to see you TEACH CLASS, not choreograph. But, you need to find out what the auditioners want to see.

Thank you so much for replying. I will email the school tomorrow to ask what exactly i need to do a training or choreo and will reply on here again. I was just worried because a girl who went to the school said that in her audition she did a small choreo and on the website it just says some training. So i was worried because if it was training I'd have no idea how to ask the pianist what i want ect. Thats why i thought it might be better to just get one piece of music, put it on a cd and then teach them a little something, ahhh im not sure!

• Administrators

If you have not yet learned to work with a pianist, just hope that she/he is a good one and can pick up what you want from your demonstration. If the audition is not immediate, try to get with a pianist or a teacher in your school and ask for some help on knowing when you want a 3/4, a 2/4, a 4/4, a 6/8, a tango, a waltz, a polka, a tarantella, etc. If you count it in rhythm when you demonstrate the pianist should be able to know. :yes:

Thank you again. I wish I had someone to help me now but i dont so actually im going to have to guess and hope they would understand me. When i contact the school i will also ask if i have to do with piano or CD. Do you know where I can get ballet music from or what training music i could use because then i may be able to download it from the internet. Thank you so much.

• Administrators

There are a lot of ballet class albums on Amazon. You can download them into iTunes (most are $10 U.S.) and then onto your iPod or burn a CD. If you go to Amazon, please get there by clicking on the link at the top of all of our pages. That will give us a little support for the board if you purchase anything. :yes:

• Administrators

You are welcome, and I would really appreciate it if you would put your "i's in upper case! :yes: