Ballet Talk for Dancers

Colleges that Allow Double Major

Guest extensionprincess

I am a junior in high school preparing my list of colleges to apply to in my senior year. As per my background,I am a dancer at heart. I am on a dance scholarship at my high school, so I dance everyday at school ( contemporary ballet, pointe, modern, and also dancing in major productions such as Peter Pan (Indians) and the Producers ( dancing with walkers). I also dance 5 days a week at my Ballet Studio where I am trained in Classical Ballet, but also do tap once a week and do modern. I have been accepted to several summer intensives in the past at age 13-15, including Orlando Ballet, NCSA,Colorado Ballet, Kirov Ballet, Atlanta Ballet and most recently Alonzo King Lines Ballet ( I will be attending Lines Ballet this summer). I need a back up plan if my career in dancing does not come true. I need to double major. So far, I cannot find a college with a good dance program that will allow you to double major. I hope that someone can give me some suggestions so that I can begin touring colleges. Dancing is my passion. I love performing.

I need a back up plan if my career in dancing does not come true. I need to double major.

I think that "need" is far too strong a word. Yes, having a Plan B is fine, but double majoring when you have two academic subjects like English and History is not the same as trying to double when you have a performing art as one of them. Dance is a wonderful example of Parkinson's Law, "Work expands to consume all available time." Plan for a strong minor, then at the end of dance time, which may not happen for a decade or more, return to school to work on the B career, if you need to. More dance jobs than ever before are making arrangements with colleges and universities for external degrees while you're working. That might be Plan C. But I would advise not getting into a ratrace too early. You don't want to risk burnout.

Thanks Mr. Mel Johnson,

I never thought about it that way. I can always Minor in something else. Something that I can use in the future after my dance career.

Thanks

I live in the Midwest and go to Webster university. I do not double major ( i have a minor instead) however, i know so many people in my dance department that do double major. Webster University is definitely one of the best dance departments in the Midwest. It is not very well known but I think this is good because this means smaller class sizes and more individual attention. Every year we have been selected into the top 10 of American college dance festival out of 50+ dances and every other year they pick 3 out of those ten to dances to go to national and we have been selected the past two times. I really advise looking into the program. Double majoring is a common thing here or at least a minor .

another possibility in st. Louis is Washington university. They are the ivy league of the Midwest but if you have the grades to get in they are also a possibility, and if you are a dance major then it is a requirement to double major!

hope this helps :)

Indiana University!!! I'm currently a freshman here and I love it! I chose it because, like you, I loved dancing and was not ready to just quite after high school, but I also value academics and would eventually like to have a career outside of ballet. The program is absolutely fantastic, with world renowned faculty including Violette Verdy, and 4-5 performances a year including an annual Nutcracker. This spring I had the opportunity to perform in Serenade staged by Vikki Simon, Rubies staged by Sandra Jennings, and Rodeo staged by Paul Sutherland, in addition to being a dancer in Jerome Robbins original choreography for West Side Story.

We currently have 46 majors, 34 women and 12 men, in our program. To me, this is the perfect size--enough to put on full length ballets and fill out all the parts, but not too many that you have people just sitting around; everyone dances a lot. It is pretty competitive to get in: well over 200 audition every year and they usually take 12-16. However, once you are in, the program is far more kind and encouraging than competitive.

Most, if not all Ballet majors have another academic focus as well. I have chosen to study psychology and would eventually like to get at least a masters in Neuropsychology. I take all my academics in the morning, sometimes as early as 8am, but then I get to dance from 11:30am to as late as 5:45pm depending on the rehearsal schedule. It can make for long days trying to balance ballet and school, but if you're like me (which you sound like you are), it's absolutely worth it. We are consistently debated the number one dance program in the US with Julliard, but unlike Julliard, we are allowed to have an academic focus as well.

You should definitely look into Indiana University-Bloomington. It seems like a bit of a random place, but Jacob's School of Music (which we are a part of) is known world wide. The music majors get majors from all of the world, and the ballet department is all over the US, from coast to coast and now Hawaii. Oh, and another great bonus is that the music majors play for all of our performances. :)

Here is a link where you can watch some of our recent performances. Unfortunately, our fall and spring ballets are not on here due to copyright restrictions since we performed Balanchine, but you can watch our most recent Nutcracker.

http://music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/streaming/

One other thing: my friend was in the professional division with LINES and I also know that LINES ballet is closely connected with Dominican College. You should ask about that when you go this summer.

Happy college hunting!

Dancers, an important thing to realize about college/university programs is that their goal should be to pass you on to a JOB in the performing field, rather than simply to progress to the next great school, unless your career goal is to teach in a college/university. Actual paying work in your major should take over at some time, preferably sooner than later.

I'm also at IU and I think it's a great program. So many of our graduating seniors (some did a full 4 years, some just 3) have gotten traineeships, jobs, apprenticeships in different companies. It can prepare you to be a professional dancer, or allows you to still have ballet in your life if it's not what you want to do after college. I want to dance but also as a back-up plan am getting an outside field in Business and a minor in Spanish. Because it's not a full double major there is still time to keep your focus on ballet, and graduate early if you want. Hope this helps!

Knock, knock. Check out the listings under the College forum. Double majors are pretty common, but they are difficult when one of the majors is a performing art. Having to attend school in the summer or for an extra semester or two may be required.

• 2 weeks later...

Southern Methodist University and Texas Christian University also allow double majors, although it is considered quite difficult to do so. But if you're really motivated, then you can make it work! I hope to double major in dance and political science, so I have been on the lookout for schools that allow double majors as well. What Mel said is true though and he has given me some food for thought as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a student at Butler University and I have a dance major and a minor in History. However, there are other dancers that are double majoring. I would definitely check out the college discussion boards though!

Thanks Everyone,

I have been looking at Butler's and Indianna's site. I am leaning toward majori in Dance and a minor in something else.