Ballet Talk for Dancers

college/majors/jobs

Guest seg2dance

Guest seg2dance

Hi i know i haven' rposted in a while , i have been incredibly busy and stressed between school work and dance, but i have a quick question...... does one have to major in dance in order to teach dance??? i am at a 2 yr community college < first year student> and i need to start thinking of where i want to go after.. adn my paretns are not letting me major in dance adn i really dont' know what i want to do w/ my life otherwise and its very frustrating then they start saying "why don't you teach dance?" ... i thought you had to major in it and when i told my mother that she just shrugged it off liek it was not an option for me.... i know that no matter what i will minor in dance but im jsut so frustrated and upset b/c need to figure things out soon i guess... i'm sorry for venting its just been held in for a long time i guess..... thank you for your time!

Stephenie

• Administrators

Stephenie, it depends on what kind of dance you want to teach, and on what level. If you are talking about classical ballet, the first thing that has to happen is that you become a very good classical dancer yourself. If you are not planning to try for a professional career, then a degree in Ballet Pedagogy would be the way to go. We have far too many "teachers" out there in the world who are totally not qualified to teach anything, especially classical ballet. If you want to do this, then do it right. Otherwise, you join the "Dolly Dinkles" of the world. If you want to teach in the educational system, especially on the college level, you will need a Masters degree in Dance if you do not have a professional performing career. To teach in small private schools there is no requirement for degree or career, unfortunately. Too many of these schools are doing a disservice to their students with teachers who have no qualifications at all other than a few years of studying ballet somewhere. This is not adequate. While there may be a few here and there who are good in spite of the lack of serious qualifications, most are not and when their students try to go to a more professional school they are either not accepted or are placed at a very low level.

Teaching ballet is a very serious business, and cannot be done by anyone or everyone who has ever had some dance training. But there are no laws or licensing requirements therefore there are lots of very poor teachers around.

Guest seg2dance

most of my trainign has been in classical ballet < and i 'm still takign class i dont' paln on ever stopping> i'm just at such a loss of what to do w/ my life, and i feel everytiem i find something else i could possibly be interested in i get shot down, and i want to get our of the school < college> i'm in now as fast as possible yet i hav no clue of where i want to go after or what i want to do so i feel liek i am defeatign the purpose < i'm a liberal arts major, but as one of my electives i have dance everyay at shcool and i ahve my eular studi classes at nigwhich is good> ... i'm so confused .. and i apologize for vening out liek this im jsut so very frustrated but thank you for giving me the information it is very much appreciated!

~Stephenie

Guest seg2dance

i'm sorry i am horrible at typing andi think a few of the keys on my keyboard are not working correctly, i meat to say regular studio classes.... sorry!!

• Administrators

seg2dance, you can edit your own posts you know ;) Just click on the Edit button under your post, and you can fix all the typos! There is also a Preview button, right beside the Submit button. That allows you to get a better look at the post before you send it, in bigger font and more like it will look once it's on the board. I find this very helpful in catching the mistakes and typos.

I'm sorry you are so upset and frustrated right now, but I'm afraid I don't really know how to help you. Perhaps the liberal arts college is the best place to be for the moment, until you can decide what you want to do. Once you decide, then you need to begin figuring out how to go about getting the education you need in order to do it. Hopefully your parents will support your decision, but if not then you might have to work for a while to earn some money, and also start applying for scholarships and grants for education. Good luck to you, and I hope you can try to find a way to make this time useful in terms of your search. If you dwell on what you DO want to do, instead of how much you are not liking what you ARE doing, then perhaps you can also find a way to make it happen.