Ballet Talk for Dancers

Need HELP ! Everything!

Guest lilsolditto

Guest lilsolditto

Hello everybody! I'm new here and I love it! I will hopefully start my classes very soon. I'm very nervous and very excited/ Tho I haven't do any ballet or dance at all since I was little. Now while I was going through the post is like so much information that I feel like, ok what is that? what's that? and I keep asking myself all these questions. I don't remember nothing about the shoes, tho it seems it has changed a lot. Don;t understand why all the nmes or the differents sizes. When I dance then they would give us the shoes so it wasn't a question for it. I'm a size 7 1/2 in woman size. Also the names of the different positions while dancing. I need to refresh my memory and start from scratch. Which I don;t mind at all, cause I'm now 23 and last time I dance it was over 10 years ago, so a lot of things are just completely different. I don't know if there's a post already w/ this information cause like i said I'm new and I haven't read everything yet but I'm working on it. If the info is already in a post please forgive me if not I willappreciate a lot if somebody could tell me. Thanks very much!

lilsolditto

Hi there Lilsolditto (where does your name come from?)

You sound totally excited and bitten by the ballet bug. First just calm down a little bit and take a deep breath as we have people here from all around the globe and they may find your 'excited speak' ;) a little difficult to understand.

First, there is a great website to go to http://www.abt.org/library/dictionary/

it is a dictionary of ballet and it even hase some Quicktime video showing the steps, so you will remember them if you see them!

Secondly, you say you haven't danced since 10 years ago, well not much will have changed. The steps will pretty much be the same, perhaps the way of teaching will be different, but thats all.

You have to buy your shoes now I'm afraid! Look in your Yellow pages for a local dancewear store and go in and ask to be fitted for a pair of soft ballet shoes. These days you can get split soled or full soled, ask to try both on, also canvas or leather...pretty much up to your personal taste. Get pink to start with as they go with bare legs or tights. Do you have dance clothes to wear yet? it doens't matter so much about them, but you need to start a class with ballet slippers at least. they are around $22 depending on what make/type/style you buy.

Any more questions? just ask away.

Jeanette x

Guest lilsolditto

Hi again! You are completely right, I need to calm down. :) But is the emotion of all my life trying to at least know ballet and wasn't able to, and now that finally an opportunity is there for me, is really hard to control myself, sorry!

First my name, lilsolditto, comes from the begining of my nick name, Lil, and the beggining of my husband nick name, Sol, and the word "ditto", meaning "the same". is just a romantic thing that I made up, that's all/ He plays the piano and we weren;t sure of the name we wanted to make up so instead of looking for piano and ballet, I made that up. :)

Thanks for the link, I will definetly chack it out. Hope I can refresh my memory from it. You are right maybe things haven;t changed a lot, but I guess that for me I see it different since I was probably 8 years old and I wasn't able to get deep w/ pointe. Tho we got the basics.

About the shoes I'm completely ignorant to it, cause I never bought any shoes at all, the teacher would give them to use, so sorry If I sound out of this world but any description will be like talking chinese to me! :) Tho I will take your advice and go to a store and ask for what you mentioned, split soled or full soled etc. I don not have any dance clothes at all and I don;t know where to get them. I know I have to wear them tho. I found some shoes store tho dance clothes haven't been able to find it yet/ in any case I don;t find the shoes I guess I can get the slippers. You have been very helpful, thank u very much! I'm sorry to be sooo crazzyy!!! :) But anything else u can help I will appreciate it !

lilsolditto :)

no apologies on the being crazy part at all:) just go ahead and be yourself, I just meant in writing what you want to say :) Thats a lovely name also.

As for dance clothes, you can buy these jazz/yoga pants, they are flowing and close fitting enough to start with, or you can go to the same store where you will go to get your ballet slippers and just tell them that you are returning to dance, they will hopefully an dusually are very understanding and patient and will help you find what clothes to wear and everything you need. It may be expensive for the first visit, as you will need leotard, tights and shoes. So first of all go and find out a store near you..do you have one do you know?

oh I had a quick look at dance store sin Pennsylvania for you..go to this web page and see if any are near you..http://www.trienawear.com/states/PA.html it might be a help or maybe not...

Guest lilsolditto

Thank u very much again! Yeah I'm kinda of crazy tho! :)

I'm currently staying in Pennsylvania, tho I will be moving soon to New Jersey. My husband is from Pennsylvania, he's been living here all his life, but we bought a house in Jersey and in the nest couple of months we will be moving there. I honmestly do most of my shooping in new Jersey and the school that I will hopefully be attending is in Mt Holly, New Jersey. So I really appreciate you looking that for me but I need a store in Jersey. I don't have so far. I looked up the school in the yellow pages but there wasn't really a story to buy ballet or dance supplies. They had other kind os stores, like for modern, african etc. So I don't know. Thanks for your help!

lilsolditto

(thanks for liking my name!)

:)

Guest lilsolditto

hey thanks! I found one store in the link u gave me and I know exactly where the store is at! I'm so excited! I called up to make sure and yes! Ok I know I'm talking like crazy again! :) Anyway, thanks, I will probably be there tomorrow, cause today I can't but If I could I would be on my wayyyYYYyyyyyy!!! :)

So I started checking the link about the ballet dictionary, I'm trying to understand it and so far so good. I just had another question. Is important to learn all these names for the different positions and everything for ballet? I think so cause if the teacher ask to do something and u don;t know the meaning u are going to look stupid. But let me know, I just want to make sure. Now U told me about the slippers and stuff but I read lots of posts of people talking about different kinds of shoes, how am I going to know which one is better fir me? I mean is liek lost od them. I just don't want to go to the store and look stupid like I don;t know nothing at all. Also what should I buy clothes wise? Leotard? color? tights? color? Is that it?

thanks

lilsolditto

First of all,its ok to 'look stupid' in your class. You are there to learn, to make mistakes, to tumble and fall, to make the same mistakes. These are all fine, the reason being is that everyone else is too busy doing their own thing too look at you. If you can get over this inhibition quite quickly it will help you immensely. Class is a place to learn, if you knew everything it would be a pretty boring class ;)

When is your first class?

Buy a leotard you will feel comfortable wearing, not too low at the front or back. Sit down in it, stand up in it, it should feel like a second skin. As for tights, go with the classic pink to start with, repetto or capezio or danskin tights are really nice, careful putting them on as they tend to ladder pretty easily sometimes. Whenever I put on a new pair of tights I invariably get a hole in them! DOn't fret if that happens, just dab some clear nail polish on them. If the store will let you, try on the tights with the leotards. you may also want to wear black tights, but go with footless ones for black tights if you do. You may feel more comfortable wearing all black which is perfectly acceptable.

You will probably want to stick with pink shoes, try the split sole shoes, they make your feet look really pretty. You will have a choice of leather or canvas. Canvas tend to wear through quite quickly,leather can last for ages. It is personal taste again.

If you are not used to seeing yourself wearing not alot, you may feel really exposed and self concious. This will go away. If you ahave largish bosoms youmay want to invest in an undergarment, again they should sell these at the store,just to give you some support, or you can buy leotards with support built in.

You'll also want your hair off your face and neck, so up in a ponytail or bun as ponytails can sting if you are turning!

Usually the best thing is to go and observe a class first. Have you done this? Then you can guage what people are wearing and you feel a lot better about it all. usually in an adult class, we all wear what we want and what we feel comfortable dancing in.

Jeanette

Guest lilsolditto

hey! You have been so much hep for me, I just feel very happy, thanks!

I printed the info out and tomorrow when I go to the store I will tell the person. I haven't seen any ballet class yet tho. I will hopefully start next Tuesday if everything comes out good.

Also somebody told me that Full Sole Canvas are the best to start plus the canvas is pretty, and the full sole builds strenght in the foot. Then somebody else said to me is better Bloch leather split soles to start and that canvas make ingrow toenails. So I'm kinda of confused there.

Tho thanks very much for the rest is been very helpful and I can't wait until tomorrow. And u are right about the classes, we are there to learn, that's why we go there/

What thinhs most likely the adults wear to classes?

lilsolditto

Don't worry about the shoes, just buy a pair that you feel totally comfortable in. They should be snug fitting, but you don't want your toes scrunched up when you stand up, they need to be able to lie flat on the floor, try as many sizes around your normal street size that they have, including narrow, medium and wide fittings.

Most adults, well black leotards and pink tights (me), different coloured leotards and pink tights, leotards and black footless tights, most all wear pink slippers, although some wear black ones, but then black slippers and pink tights are not the most attractive, ok for kiddies. Then there are jazz pants, kind of lycra flowing material, very flattering and a vest top, or leggings and a T-shirt, or leggings and a sweatshirt, or cycling shorts and a tight top ot cycling shorts and a t-shirt. But bear in mind if you want to really take this seriously, the teacher will need to see all of you clearly, and wearing baggy tops and trousers and skirts hides the important parts that the teacher needs to see to be able to correct you.

So there you go, now have a great time in the shop!

Let us know how you get on.

Jeanette x

• Administrators

Lilsolditto, it might be a good idea to call the school first, and find out if they have any specific requirements in terms of attire for their adult classes. Most do not, but some do. Adults who take it seriously generally do wear leotards and tights, and for ballet classes pink shoes are more appropriate with pink tights. The choice of split sole or full sole is yours to make. As Xena said, try them on and see which feels better when you pointe your foot. It might be a good idea to go and watch a class before you begin, just to see what is expected of the adult students.

• Administrators

Lilsolditto, I'm afraid you had a very unscrupulous saleslady at that store. Anyone who would suggest or sell pointe shoes to a total beginner should not be working in a dancewear shop :D Please, please take them back and get your money back! You will not be ready for pointe for a very long time, and since you are just starting you have no idea at this point in you will stay with it regularly and long enough to safely dance on pointe. Beginning students DO NOT dance on pointe!!! And some adults will not have the flexibility of the feet, the rotation, the placement, etc., etc., to ever do it. Some do. But you can't know that now, and all that money could go into more classes. Take the shoes, the ribbons, the gel pads, all back and get your money back right away, PLEASE!

(Moderators, please delete if I'm in the wrong place)

lilsolditto,

About the shoe size changing: Even if you are an adult, your foot size may change after you start ballet, so buying things in advance may do no good.

When I first started ballet 1,5 years ago I wore a technique shoe number 36. Now I find that number 35 with the exact same model and maker is a bit too big - I may end up buying a 34 next time. (Not long anymore, since the fabric is wearing thin at the big toe)

Some of the change may be because I prefer tighter-fitting technique shoes - I can't tell. I did not save my old slippers. However, I do not think all can explained by that, since some of my old street shoes do not fit me any more either. (Very unpractical. :D )

I've heard other people tell the same - that since they started ballet their shoe size has changed. I think it could be due to the arch strengthening and thus "being pulled together".

Jaana, I think you're quite correct about the foot "firming up", at least from my experience. When I bought my first pair of ballet shoes, they were size 8½, and instead of growing, as one would expect with a teen, my ballet shoes went smaller from there - wider, but shorter, until things settled down at 7½EE.