Ballet Talk for Dancers

Music: Theme and Variations

I've been looking on itunes at the different recordings of Tchaikovsky's "Theme and Variations" and noticed that so far all of the ones I've heard has the male variation being too short. Ergo, is there a particular recording of this music that the "ballet folk" use that has the variation in it's correct length for the ballet?

• Administrators

There is an American Ballet Theatre CD, Volume I, that has Theme and Variations, along with Pillar of Fire and Bruch Violin Concerto. It was put out in 1998 by RCA Victor Red Seal/BMG Entertainment. #09026-63190-2. I have not listened to it in many moons, but I would think that the solo would be correct.

It is available on Amazon. Please go thru the link above! :clapping:

Of course, there's also the matter of tempo, but that was a variable thing during Balanchine's lifetime. Once, when Ted Kivitt had to do the part, Balanchine wanted the tempo to go 'way down. Later on, when Peter Fonseca inherited the part, he sped it back up above the composer's marking. Balanchine could be rather fickle that way.