Ballet Talk for Dancers

Stretching

Stevenson

Hello everyone,

I’m going to start a regular stretching routine as I’m rather inflexible, but in the past when I used to stretch, I stretched to extreme intensity which was highly uncomfortable and painful as you can imagine.

I did everything right, I done cardio to get warm, then light stretches, then intense stretching, but at that point I really did push it. Just how much do I have to push it? How much discomfort do I have to push through to make stretching worthwhile? I would probably push until I was in utter agony, which would then make it a negative experience and I would find it hard to keep up the stretching routine as I would expect to go through the same type of pain every time.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Josh.

• Administrators

Josh, stretching for ballet should be done between barre and center, if you are given the time, and always after classes when you are really warmed up. Pushing to the point of a bit of discomfort and pushing to the point of real pain are two very different things. Pain is not good. It is not productive. Stay with stretches that you have been taught by your ballet teacher.

• 1 month later...

I am concerned about safety during my conditioning/stretch classes in my SI.

After I got into a "lotus position" as told, the teacher pulled me forward, and I ended up lying on my belly in the lotus position. I have never seen this position before, but I was told that this is supposed to increase my turnout. Even though I didn't really feel much pain, I am concerned -- is this too much torque in the knees (looks like even more torque than the froggy position to me)?

There are some other positions (eg. froggy, or being pushed in stretches) that I am worried for safety. Even though I have studied dance kinesiology, I don't want to pretend that I know a lot about it, or annoy my teachers. What should I do?

• Administrators

Ballet Bunnie, I think you might mean froggy position? :thumbsup: Anyway, that is a stretch we are not fond of here.

As for the lotus, I do not do Yoga, so cannot respond to the pushing forward, but I can say that I dislike, and will not do, the lotus position, because I will not do ANY stretch or movement that puts my feet into a sickle position. Is it even possible to do the lotus without the feet being sickled???

Ahh.. Yeah, froggy. Fixed. :thumbsup: Thanks to Microsoft's spell check, I can't spell anymore!

I can't do it without feet being sickled either. But the teacher claimed that's one of the stretches that he did as a kid. And he has insane turnout (well, the part I am hesitant about when doing the stretches is that, he has two metal knees, too!)....

• Administrators

I think that ballet provides enough work that if there is any question about any stretch, don't do it. :thumbsup: