Ballet Talk for Dancers
AmaLari

Ballet Schools in Colorado - Denver

AmaLari

We're relocating from abroad to Denver, Colorado this weekend and are looking for a ballet school. My DD will be 10 years old on Saturday and has been following the RAD curriculum (currently in Grade 5; has received Distinctions on all exams).

Basically, I have two questions:

1 - I'm not used to having a large selection of schools to choose from. The Colorado Ballet has an academy that looks good online, but does anyone know of other good options for a serious student?

2 - Is RAD Grade 5 considered an intermediate level? How does that translate into a Vaganova-style program?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Mel Johnson

Successful completion of grade 5 RAD is construed to represent function and achievement at an elementary level. After grade 5, the student tracks either recreationally or vocationally. As the modal age for those passing grade 5 is 11-12, you'd have to translate that yourself into whatever school curriculum you transfer into. Vaganova, unlike Cecchetti and RAD, does not have a single unified worldwide curriculum.

vrsfanatic

Major Johnson perhaps you mean outside of Russia, Vaganova is not regulated by a panel of professionals, therefore by whom, when and where Vaganova is taught is left to individual schools in many countries. The program of study is divided into age groups with movements that are taught in a particular way in each level of study. As with all programs of study in the US, the system can be adapted to various age groups. I believe we have quite a few adult members studying RAD here at BT4D. One can study Vaganova schooling at any age, however, of course the most important aspect of any course of study is the teacher's abilities to communicate and implement the information. :(

As for Denver, contact the Denver Ballet Guild. They may be able to give you a list of RAD schools in the area. I know there are quite a few, I just do not know their names. It has been quite a few years since I have worked in Denver. I am out of touch with the current list of schools.

dancemaven

After the levels question gets settled, I will be moving this thread to the "Finding a Pre-Professional School" Forum. :rolleyes:

I've checked, but we don't have an existing thread for school searches in/around Denver, so this will be it. :(

BelaNina

AmaLari - in our experience with changing schools and changing methods (my daughter was 12 years of age at the time), in all the new schools she auditioned for, they had their own leveling system that did not correspond with the leveling system at her original school. Each school had her take a class based upon discussion with me about her background, and then once they observed her in class, they decided upon her placement based upon their own levels. In other words, we didn't have to decide which level she would take. The school AD decided. :(

Mel Johnson
Major Johnson perhaps you mean outside of Russia, Vaganova is not regulated by a panel of professionals, therefore by whom, when and where Vaganova is taught is left to individual schools in many countries.

Sorry, that's not quite what I said. I said, "single, unified, worldwide." That's a big difference. There is no Vaganova®

International. Maybe there should be, or maybe that would be the worst thing that could happen.

AmaLari

Thank you for all this useful information!

My DD is significantly less stressed now, knowing that she just has to dance and the school will decide the rest. We're off this afternoon and will start looking at schools in person next week.

Thanks again,

AmaLari

tutumuch

AmaLari,

I would imagine your daughter has already found a studio. If you are not happy or still looking.... check out International Ballet School. Of course I am biased. It is a small studio in Littleton. They don't advertise and there website is outdated. But they are amazing!

Also you can look at last year's Regional YAGP from Denver:

http://www.yagp.org/eng/denver_co_2011_winners.php

Hope this helps:)

Kini

Been a while since this thread was updated for Colorado.

There are so many definitions of Pre Pro Studios now days but I would recommend looking into Denver Academy Theater http://www.denverballettheatreacademy.com/ and Classical Ballet of Colorado http://classicalballetofcolorado.com both studios provide comprehensive Vaganova Training and have done well in YAGP in the last couple of years.

(Wish one or both had been around when my daughter was young)

dancemaven

DD has been very impressed with the Colorado Conservatory of Dance: http://ccdance.org

Mom2kaipar

Agreed, both my kids have been at CCD for over 14 years.

dancerini

I've seen Denver Ballet Theater mentioned a few times. Could anyone provide more information about this school? Any info is welcome and appreciated!!

ballonne mama

Classical Ballet of Colorado has branched into two separate schools. CBC's former Artistic Director has started Classical Ballet Academy which is an audition-only, serious pre-professional academy. Their curriculum is the most complete in the Rocky Mountain region including: Vaganoza Ballet, Pointe, Pas de Deux, Character, Jazz, Modern, Contemporary Repertoire, Composition & Improv, Historical Dance, and optional, Tap. After noticing a void in the current system in the region where pro ambitious dancer are left in a void of sorts after graduating  and many going overseas to complete their post-grad training, they decided to start Ballet Mélange, a professional company for early career professionals.  It fills the need for early pre-professional graduates to perform as professionals, build their resumes and repertoire, even if they are not yet corp de ballet "company ready," and do not wish to enter a studio-company situation without pay and without professional company training. www-classical-ballet-academy.com

CVan

I've been looking for a forum for Colorado Ballet Academy (for the year round school) and haven't found it.  Admins, if I've missed it, please let me know!

DD was just accepted into the year round Pre-Professional Division.  Wondering if there are any other families on BT4D who have had experience there.  Thanks!

dancerdancer

CVan, I haven't been able to find a thread for the academy, either, so I think this thread may be all there is. My daughters have only taken a few open classes there, while visiting the area, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the year round academy levels.  They enjoyed their classes, and the facility was nice. (I loved the lounge area for parents!) I do hope you will hear from someone who has knowledge of the year round situation.