Ballet Talk for Dancers
AmaLari

Ballet Schools in Colorado - Denver

CVan

Thank you, dancerdancer.

Managingtwotoo

My understanding is that CBA has two levels for Pre-Pro.  We had a very up and down experience with the program.  It seems that this year (17-18) it is much improved.  The upper level now has some excellent dancers.  

CVan

Thanks, Managingtwotoo.  May I ask when your dancer was there?

Managingtwotoo

She was there for several years in the academy before they had a pre-pro program.  The pre-pros took classes with academy students at that time in addition to their daily classes.  We left in 2016 because she wanted more Vagonova and CB was moving away from that as a base training.  […] There are really good options in Denver includIng CBA.  I would also recommend looking at Classical Ballet Academy, CCD, IBS, And RMBA.  They are all different and studio culture is different at each one - DBT is another good program.   Good luck finding a good fit !

Edited by dancemaven
Removed second-hand experience per BT4D Rules and Policies.

CVan

Thank you; good to know!  My daughter had thoroughly researched the program before auditioning, and she is very excited to go.

macameli

Just wondering if anyone has any new info, opinions, reviews of the Pre-Pro program at Colorado Ballet?? 

CVan

My daughter is there now, and is enjoying it!  The structure is Pre-Pro A, and Pre-Pro B.  The B level is considered the more advanced.  They are kept busy with classes all day, rehearsals, and they have the opportunity to audition for corps roles in company shows.  They offer a Life Skills class every week:  helping them learn how to navigate the business side of things.  They also have some nice field trips; so far they have gone hiking in the mountains, attended company rehearsals at Wonderbound (another Denver company), and gone to the movies.

So far, so good!  If anything changes, I will update.

Noodles

CVan, are they classical or vaganova?

CVan

Noodles, here is what my daughter said:  "It is Vaganova-esque.  Each teacher has their own style, but no one disagrees with each other."  (Meaning they are not saying that what one teacher said was wrong, do it this way, etc.)

macameli

Thank you Cvan for the update! Sounds like a well rounded program.  What kind of housing is she in? Do dancers share apartments? 

CVan

Macameli there is no housing offered by the school.  She is in an apartment with two other dancers.  It is less than a five minute walk to the studios.  The school connected all of the students by email over the summer, so that anyone who was looking for roommates could find them.  I believe there are host families, but I am not familiar with that option.  The dancers are responsible for their day to day life:  grocery shopping (there is a grocery store nearby), laundry (in the building and on their floor), and getting to and from classes and rehearsal.  It's been quite an adjustment (DD is 16) but it seems to be working out (knock on wood!).

macameli

Thank you, CVan.

Noodles

CVan, it sounds like a great program. Best of luck to your DD!

CVan

Thank you!