Ballet Talk for Dancers

Jaded June

Mazenderan

Started the June thread - since I have a moan. :clapping:

While I do acknowledge that I often arch my back, I swear that- even with my best posture - my backside just sort of sticks out like that at the back. I always looks a bit arched. I can't help it. Have mercy, teacher!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Serendipity

• swantobe

• Je Suis Aimee

• Balletlove

Friends from an old studio are performing this weekend..... sigh, didn't realize I'd miss the performance part so much..........

Have mercy, teacher!

Oh I know the feeling, Mazenderan. For me, it's my shoulders. I had one teacher who was on my case about my shoulders for years. To the point of tears for me, of frustration, because, as much as I try to open out my chest, my shoulders creep up.

Of course I can't say "I cant help it" because obviously it's something I do, and so, theoretically, I can not do it. But much as I try, it seems to be permanent: tension makes my shoulders head for my ears!

I sympathize as well, Mazenderan, my bum is just kind of.. round and makes my back look a bit arched even when it isn't. My teacher doesn't say anything about it (well, she does when my back actually IS arched), but when I see it in the mirror I don't really like the look of it..

Have mercy, teacher!

Oh I know the feeling, Mazenderan. For me, it's my shoulders. I had one teacher who was on my case about my shoulders for years. To the point of tears for me, of frustration, because, as much as I try to open out my chest, my shoulders creep up.

Of course I can't say "I cant help it" because obviously it's something I do, and so, theoretically, I can not do it. But much as I try, it seems to be permanent: tension makes my shoulders head for my ears!

oh, I completely sympathise with you both Mazenderan and Redbookish! - I have a "sway-back" (ie. bum sticks out) and rogue shoulders that keep creeping up and bringing my arms with them. Oh, and add to that my hyperextended knees (I think in ballet language my leg-shape is called "jarrete", according to a book I read), which mean in first position the backs of my knees meet in the middle but my heels don't! :blink:

I've received very good & useful corrections for all of these (especially one of my teachers who has spotted & helped me enormously with my arms & legs) but no matter how hard I try, there seems to be a limit to how many things I can keep under control at one time - I might get through barre with my arms and shoulders in the right place, and be remembering to find true "straight" with knees & bring my heels together... but then I'll catch sight of myself in the mirror and realise I've been sticking my bum out through all the plies and I look about as graceful as a duck! :unsure:

Right now we are having mixed open classes with teens between the end of spring term and the beginning of summer.... there are some of the teens' moms who are lovely, but they talk right through class, just outside the door, whether the door is open or not. Today the door was closed but I was standing at the barre near the door, and their chatter was distracting me... so I peeked my head out and asked them to keep it down... I don't think that was out of order, but I did feel rather bad. :ermm:

so I peeked my head out and asked them to keep it down... I don't think that was out of order, but I did feel rather bad. :shrug:

Oh Ami, you've spent too long in my country and we have inflicted you with English politeness where we apologise to the impolite people! :lol: Isn't it odd that we can feel bad when asking others to behave with consideration. Happens to me all the time in the Quiet Carriage on trains: as if I'm the rude one, asking people not to use their mobile phone.

I'm definitely a fellow swayback! AND a shoulder creeper. Wherever I go I get the same corrections on these 2 areas! It seems so easy to correct but its so difficult to control... I am just amazed with how much strength I have lost in 6 months of no dancing! I feel so embarrassed for myself! Sigh

@Redbookish -- thanks! One parent, especially, is nice to me but just always talking. I seriously don't know how the teacher copes with it when the door is open. I mean, she's paying for the classes for her daughter, and then disrupting them? ooof.

I also am sway backed -- my hip flexors are very tight, and thus always contracted, making my pelvis tip. I always wear something warm on my hips to start class. Focusing on core strengthening and stretching them out helps so much. But, what I've recently notice is that it takes me longer in class to get my body aligned -- I start really focusing in plies, and it's usually about 15 minutes into class before I feel like I've really taken control - and then I have to really think about it thereafter.

a HUGE "me too" on shoulder tension/creeping up! its something I need to constantly focus on or they "naturally" creep up.

I've been getting corrected mostly on my center/alignment... getting told to pull up, stomach in/ribs down... keep breathing. I just haven't learned how to hold myself correctly, it's frustrating. I think I'll pull my teacher aside after class for some more specific corrections on my alignment because I'm lost on what it means to "pull up" really. I mean I think I'm pulling up but then it doesn't exactly fix the problem so... or maybe my core just isn't strong enough yet?

Another swaybacked-person here...and a shoulder-tenser too... :)

Started the June thread - since I have a moan. :lol:

While I do acknowledge that I often arch my back, I swear that- even with my best posture - my backside just sort of sticks out like that at the back. I always looks a bit arched. I can't help it. Have mercy, teacher!

Used to have a partner that always complained about her backside always stuck out. She'd wear the longest shirts in class the instructor would let her get away with. And always grumbled when she had to remve it.