Ballet Talk for Dancers
mylildancer

Pacific Northwest Ballet

TipToes

Thanks, SonDoesDance! We are considering PNB for the fall and were thinking DD might be a lot older than the other kids in her level, but it looks like she’d be right in the middle age wise.

SonDoesDance

I hope you consider it! We love the program! Assuming your DD has already been on pointe for a year I would guess she would be in Level 5 if there was room. Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help if I can.

Approximately how many students are in the upper levels 7 and 8 during the year?   And are the PD dancers in completely separate classes?   

SonDoesDance

Level 7 and 8 have usually have no more than 23 students. Yes, PD’s have their own classes separate from level 7/8. PD boys do participate in the level 8 partnering class though when/if they are able. 

Thank you SonDoesDance

Are the year round 7/8 students evaluated for PD throughout the year and subsequently could be moved up at any time?   Or is this an annual review as PD fills up from the summer intensive?

As a new dancer to the school (but has never attended a summer at PNB) just trying to figure out how it all works.   

AdagioMom

If you are in the year round level VIII, you will be evaluated for PD throughout the year and they will let you know in your conference if they want to make an offer for PD.  I've never seen anyone move up mid-year between levels VII and VIII, nor have I seen offers for PD from  level VII.  They will be evaluating and looking at you for potential PD before Level VIII, but the transition to PD doesn't happen until after level VIII (1 or 2 years there).  

Exactly what I was looking for thank you.