Ballet Talk for Dancers
mylildancer

Pacific Northwest Ballet

mylildancer

Oops, didn't mean to make it sound like my DD made the Professional Division! I was just answering 12daisygirl's question about a trainee program at PNB. DD would have loved it if she did make the PD but she is still a student who needs to work on her technique. I've watched the PD in class and the only words to describe it are fast and furious! No, DD is in a level that will suit her individual needs and although her current teachers are wonderful and have done a beautiful job with DD, she will have more classes and more intensity at PNB than her current studio can provide. No, not the PD yet, but you can bet DD has her eye on it! :(

les_sylphides_

Are open classes at PNB reflective of the regular curriculum? I live in Portland, OR and was wondering if it would be worth coming up there for a week during spring break to take open classes . . .

thanks for any input!

(ps i am 16 yrs, female)

Rhapsody

I've taken them and yes, they demonstrate the steps in Open class just like they do in the PNBS classes and ask for some of the same combos depending on the level and abilities in the room.

However, it would be best to find out who will be teaching your class before coming up. Some classes are taught by company members (Stanko Milov, Melanie Skinner, Julie Tobiason, Timothy Lynch (last 3 were formerly with PNB) and sometimes they are taught by PNBS teachers. I've seen Ms. Dillinger teaching Open class sometimes at the Int/Adv Open level, she teaches Levels II-IV in the school (and has a beautiful penche.) Sometimes company members take the INT/ADV level, so that's a treat. I think they go a little easier on the Open students than on the PNBS kids. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good non-pros taking their OPen classes just to keep in top dance form.

Stanko Milov (who is drop dead gorgeous) teaches or used to teach the 10 am Int class on Saturday. Melanie Skinner teaches Opens as well and also teaches upper level PNBS students and gives a LOT of corrections, which is helpful. Call the office, they'll be glad to help.

Also find out when PNBS's winter or spring break is. Don't want to drive up for nothing. PNB is holding auditions for their Summer Intensives (see their website for the dates). These are basically classes and as such would demonstrate what their classes are like. And you never know, you just might be asked to attend their SI.

dancinginthesnow

Just some notes on rhapsody's response,

-Mrs. Dilinger teachs II-VI in the school

-The 10 am class is still being taught by Stanko but its Adv, there's also a beg/int class at the same time, taught by Ms. Bergeson.

-holidays and breaks are listed here

- and more info on open classes here

I think the open classes are pretty reflective of the school, but just a bit less strict. I think about half of the teachers teach the open classes. A lot of the time the school classes get the same combinations as open classes.

Edited by dancinginthesnow

Rhapsody

Ooh, I forgot Ms. Bergesen's name. Tending an injury (when did I get so old?) so not taking this quarter.

Ms. Bergesen teaches technique, pointe and jazz for PNBS students. She gives lots of corrections as well; is a beautiful dancer and a popular teacher with students both in the school and in Open.

les_sylphides_

Wow thank you all so much :D

Dave
Stanko Milov (who is drop dead gorgeous)

Where else but BT4D can you get the information you need? :D

Our upcoming holidays, when no Open classes will be offered, are

Winter Break: December 19, 2005–January 2, 2006;

Martin Luther King Jr. Day: January 16, 2006;

Presidents' Day: February 20, 2006;

Spring Break: April 10–15, 2006; and

Memorial Day: May 27–29, 2006.

bornforballet

Can anybody tell me the approximate percentage of students accepted for the year-round program from the summer students? (Assuming they will be 17 by the start of the school year)

Dave

That depends on whether you're talking about staying for the year in the Professional Division or the Student Division. Most Summer Course students who apply to stay for the year in the Student Division are accepted. However, only about 20-25 new Professional Division students are accepted each year. The number who apply to stay varies from summer to summer, so the percentage varies as well.

bornforballet

Ohhhhhh I guess I am confused. What are the ages for the student division and what is the difference between the student division and the professional division?

Dave

In a nutshell, the Student Division includes levels up through VII and is designed for students who are still in high school. The Professional Division (more or less equivalent to Summer Level VIII) is intended primarily for the full-time ballet student who has completed high school; PD classes are held during the school day. A more thorough description of both can be found here.

drives2much
Most Summer Course students who apply to stay for the year in the Student Division are accepted.

Is this because PNB has already been selective through the SI auditions and therefore feel that anyone that is accepted for the SI should be equal to the task of a year round student in the Student Division?

Concerning the Professional Division.....are all dancers in this division high school grads or are some finishing up high school through online or correspondence classes?

BW

We have now merged the two separate threads about PNB's programs, so you may well find there is more information within this thread about the "Professional Division". Initially we had two threads, but the fact is that there are a number of well known ballet schools that have both a "student" and "professional division" and they all have subtle differences...and we aren't going to have more than one thread for each school - at least not quite yet :) - so here you go! :blushing:

Edited by BW

Dave

Yes. Admission to the Summer Course, because it draws from a much wider geographic area, is more selective than for the local year-round program. Note, however, that I did say "most." Occasionally the School feels that a Summer Course student who applies to stay for the year will not benefit from our year-round program, or that s/he is not a good fit for some other reason.

Some Professional Division students do complete high school through online or correspondence classes.

cahill

Dave

Is there any housing available for the out of town professional students or are they expected to find their own apartment?