Ballet Talk for Dancers
mylildancer

Pacific Northwest Ballet

Dave

Unfortunately, PNB does not have a year-round dorm. We have student housing only during the Summer Course. Most Professional Division students live in shared apartments a block or two from the studio.

les_sylphides_

Is there an age limit for highschool grads in the professional division?

mylildancer

I don't know about age limits, but we do know the students' ages range from a few age 17 to ages 21. There are two groups in the PD - PD 1 and PD 2 and each group usually has about 20 students.

bornforballet

can you audition for the student or professional division without attending the summer program?

Dave

There are open auditions for the Student Division every fall, but Professional Division students are usually selected from the Summer Course.

les_sylphides_

Thanks mylildancer! I was considering going there after high school (if accepted) and so I'll have at least 4 years after I graduate before I turn 22 :)

Dave

Be aware that the Professional Division is generally a two-year program (regardless of age) with occasional students allowed to take a third year.

les_sylphides_

oh, okay :) thanks

bornforballet

thanks so much for all your help! can you tell me where people typically go after 2 or 3 years in the professional division? Do they usually go into PNB's corpes or audition for other companies?

Dave

The majority of PNB's apprentices are hired from the Professional Division (and most corps members are promoted from among the apprentices). But even a company as large as PNB only hires two or three new dancers each year, so an important part of the PD program is counseling our students with their audition plans. Some PD's also go on to college instead of dancing for companies.

mylildancer

Although the PD is supposed to be a two year program, there are some third year and fourth year students in it although that may change now with Peter Boal at the helm. Also, there was only one apprentice chosen from the PD this year (you can find this kind of info on their web site :) ), a small number of students and former students of SAB were brought in by Peter Boal for the PD and the company, also.

les_sylphides_

How would you characterize PNB's style/technique? (ie Balanchine, Vaganova, French, Bournonville . . . )

and style contrasted to Oregon Ballet Theatre?

Dave

PNB's syllabus is based on the classical Russian tradition and is enhanced by contemporary dance forms and ideas, thereby preparing our graduates for the eclectic demands of dance companies now and into the next century. I can't speak for OBT.

mylildancer

PNBS seems strictly Balanchine, but my DD loves it. She loves her classes and she loves her teachers. They are all strict but not one mean one in the bunch. She says that she is allowed to "dance" more. You would probably understand what she's talking about more than I.

Something else that may be helpful, according to their web site, it is listed that level VI and VII have 8 classes per week and the PD have 9 classes per week. According to the schedule taped to our wall, the level VI have 10 classes per week and level VII have 11 classes per week. PD have MUCH more than 9 classes per week and they also have rehearsals. Maybe that is the minimum allowed or maybe the site needs updated? The prices of tuition are current, though.

Besides the graded classes, there are also Inter/Adv level classes every morning M - Sat that one can take if they are homeschooled. (PD classes start in the morning and continue through the afternoon.) DD especially looks forward to Mr. Lynch's Friday class because he allows her to take class as a man. Wait..... that sounded funny.... let me explain. She's allowed to do double tours instead of double pirouettes.

Woops, Dave and I must have been posting at the same time. Maybe I'm confused?! :dry: Better listen to Dave. He's been here a lot longer than I have. He'd know more than I. :blush:

dancinginthesnow

PNBS isnt strictly balanchine. There's quite a bit of balanchine influence, but the teachers are from different places and they each have different styles. Level VI currently has 10 classes a week. dunno.gif I love Mr. lynch's classes, they're fun, too bad we don't have him this year and I have to be at school..