Ballet Talk for Dancers
mylildancer

Pacific Northwest Ballet

Dave

No, we are NOT strictly Balanchine. Most of the faculty are not Balanchine-trained, and the School (many years ago, under the direction of Francia Russell) made a very conscious decision not to be a Balanchine school.

mylildancer

Oh my, I stand duly corrected, although I am confused. :devil:

We are new here this year, and it's all we ever heard anyone, including some of the PD, call the school. :innocent: Didn't mean to pass on misinformation. Thank you for the corrections, it is extremely nice to know. :shrug:

les_sylphides_

Yes, I suppose PNB would have done a "Balanchine" Nutcracker if it was strictly Balanchine . . .

But I see it does have quite a bit of Balanchine choreography in this year's season!

Anyways, thanks a lot, that was very helpful :devil:

Dave

There's a common misconception that because the current and past Artistic Directors were Balanchine-trained and because one of the three pillars of the company's repertoire has been Balanchine works, that PNB is a "Balanchine company." People then assume that the affiliated school must be Balanchine. We devote a good deal of time and effort to correcting this misconception. Certainly Balanchine is one of the School's influences, but not the only one. Balanchine is only one of the three pillars on which the company's repertoire has been based, and neither Kent Stowell and Francia Russell nor Peter Boal has EVER expressed any interest in making PNB a Balanchine company or PNB School a Balanchine school. In fact, they have intentionally hired faculty with a very broad background: Royal Danish Ballet, Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Joffrey, ABT, and many other European and American schools and companies when they could very easily have filled the faculty with Balanchine dancers. Since the very beginning, the School's mission statement has made it clear that the foundation of the curriculum is the classical Russian tradition.

Mel Johnson

From what I've seen of students, the Balanchine influence is in fair form there, but with their own distinctive take on it. It's been influenced by other methods and styles, too. A very healthy thing to do, forge your own way. :D

les_sylphides_

Are there host families for students who are accepted into the student division (16/17 years old) ?

Dave

We do not have a formal host family program. However, we will assist as much as we can in putting interested PNB families in touch with prospective students. Most Professional Division students over 16 share apartments together near the PNB studios.

les_sylphides_

Thanks so much Dave! You're always very quick to reply :D

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near the professional level so I would definetely be in the student level if accepted. Thanks again :)

missy12784

What is the oldest age that can still be accepted into the pre-pro division? I'm 21.

les_sylphides_

The website says "Students ages 14–18 must call the School to set up an audition." --is this implying that 19+ cannot apply? Maybe they make exceptions . . . yes, let's wait for Dave

:shrug:

Dave

14-18 refers to the Student Division. ALL Professional Division auditions are by prior arrangement with the School administration, regardless of age. However, it is rare for anyone over 19 to join the Professional Division. You would need to contact the School office to discuss your individual situation.

mylildancer

According to a PD member that lives in our building, 19 seems to be the average age as there are 20 - 21 year olds in the PD also. Since the PD has classes in the morning as well as early afternoon rehearsals, it would be practical to see the PD as a post-graduate program so that would make sense. :)

From our personal experience here, you are on your own as far as housing is concerned. The office has no information about host families and students in the student division, as well as the Professional Division, are on their own as to finding roommates as well as apartments. In fact the people in the office, while very friendly, will tell you that the school makes it quite clear that they do not have dorms or housing, although Peter Boal has said in an interview that was printed somewhere that he would like to remedy that someday. Can you imagine how great that would be if the school was to obtain a dorm nearby? Wow, what that could do!

I have been e-mailed and asked for the schedule of the upper student division so I will post it here so that it will be helpful to others.

Level VI

Mon 3:30-5:00 Tech 5:30-6:30 Modern

Tues 3:30-5:00 Tech

Wed 3:30-5:00 Tech 5:15 - 6:15 Pointe or Adagio

Thurs 3:30-5:00 Tech w/ Pointe

Fri 3:30-5:00 Tech w/ Pointe

Sat 11:30-1:00 Tech 1:15-2:15 Pointe 2:30-3:30 Modern

Level VII

Mon 3:00-4:30 Tech 4:30-5:30 Modern

Tues 3:00-4:30 Tech 5:00-6:00 Pointe/Var

Wed 3:00-4:30 Tech

Thur 3:00-4:30 Tech 4:30-5:30 Adagio

Fri 3:00-4:30 Tech

Sat 10:15-11:45 Tech 11:45-1:15 Modern 2:45-4:00 Modern

Level VII Men

Same schedule as level VII but instead substitute Men's Class for Tech and add another Adagio class on Wed. There is no schedule for Level VI men as there are no men in Level VI this year.

The names of the levels next year will change. Apparently, Level IV was a two year level as pointe was introduced. (If I am not entirely correct on this, please forgive me, but this is what I understand from DD) The second year of Level IV will become Level V, Level V will become Level VI, and so on to Level VIII. As far as I know the schedules will not change just the actual level title has. The teachers are absolutely wonderful, caring people! DD loves them all! :thumbsup:

les_sylphides_

Is anybody auditioning this august/september for the year-round 06/07 program?

-----

Taken from pnb.org:

Auditions

Entry for Level I and above (ages 8 years and older) is by audition only. There is a $10 charge for the audition and no pre-registration is required.

2006 Fall Semester Auditions:

Thursday, August 3, 2006

The Phelps Center, Seattle

5:00 pm, ages 8–13

6:00 pm ages 14–18

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Francia Russell Center, Bellevue

5:00 pm

Saturday, September 9, 2006

The Phelps Center, Seattle

3:00 pm ages 8–13

4:00 pm ages 14–18

-----

Dave (or others), does it make a difference which date one auditions on? I am 16, live in Oregon, and auditioning for the student division if that makes a difference.

--Does the 14-18 year age group include pointework? How much?

--Do both age groups' auditions last 1 hour?

--Must a parent be there when you audition (to fill out any release forms or paperwork?

--In the past and on average, how many students attend each audition class?

--Are students still accepted based on potential at the 16+ years of age? I mean, are they all expected to be caught up with their age group to the exclusion of those who have had less years of training, or poor training?

--anything else?

A lot of questions, I know, so thank you very very much! :P

Dave
Dave (or others), does it make a difference which date one auditions on? I am 16, live in Oregon, and auditioning for the student division if that makes a difference.

--Does the 14-18 year age group include pointework? How much?

--Do both age groups' auditions last 1 hour?

--Must a parent be there when you audition (to fill out any release forms or paperwork?

--In the past and on average, how many students attend each audition class?

--Are students still accepted based on potential at the 16+ years of age? I mean, are they all expected to be caught up with their age group to the exclusion of those who have had less years of training, or poor training?

--anything else?

les sylphides -

No, the audition date makes no difference. The 14-18 year old group will include pointe work and for that reason usually runs a little longer than the younger group, probably closer to 90 minutes (unless it is a very small group), of which probably a third will be en pointe. It is not necessary to have a parent with you. An average audition class size is hard to say, because they vary widely. I've seen them as small as 12 and as large as 50, although they are usually somewhere between those extremes. The last date is usually the smallest. By age 16 and up you would be expected to be on par with PNB students in your age group, so fewer years of training or poor training will present an obstacle.

Please feel free to post or e-mail me directly with any other questions you might have.

les_sylphides_

great :shrug: