Ballet Talk for Dancers

Books on Ballet Technique

addy

Hello, here is my growing list of books on Ballet Technique.

I will list them in the order of preference, with my favorite first, least favorite last.

(not that I dislike my least favorites- just that some have to be ranked last!)

Do you have any others to add to the list?

(1) "Classical Ballet Technique" by Gretchen Ward Warren

(2) "Both Sides of the Mirror" by Anna Paskevska

(3) "Dance Anatomy and Kinesiology" by Karen Clippinger (see note 1)

(4) "Inside Ballet Technique" by Valerie Grieg

(5) "Basic Principles of Classical Ballet" by Agrippina Vaganova

(6) "The Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet" by Gail Grant

(7) "Conditioning for Dance" by Eric Franklin

(8) "The Physics of Dance" by Kenneth Laws (1984 version)

(9) "The Ballet Companion" by Eliza Gaynor Mindon

(10)"The Cecchetti Method of Classical Ballet" by Cyril W. Beaumont

(11)"100 Lessons in Classical Ballet- The 8 year Program of Leningrad's Vaganova Choreographic School" by Vera S. Kostrovitskaya

Note 1: Does anyone know the book "Dance Kinesiology" by Sally S Fitt??? It is twice the price of Karen Clippinger's book- is it worth it to buy- especially since I already own Karen's???

Also does anyone know the book "Preventing Dance Injuries" by Ruth Solomon, is it worth the price?

Any other books you may recommend? Maybe I have enough :pinch:

Thanx!

Great collection!!!!!!! I don't think you need add to it at this moment. Have a look through the Ballet Books, Movies, Videos, Music, Ballets sub forum just in case you see something you want.

The Gretchen Ward Warren book is fabulous for pictures and descriptions of correct pointing. :pinch:

If I'd add anything to the list, it would be the Kirstein/Stuart/Dyer The Classic Ballet.

• 3 weeks later...
If I'd add anything to the list, it would be the Kirstein/Stuart/Dyer The Classic Ballet.

Thank you very much Mr/Ms. Johnson! ( I am not sure- is Mel and man or woman?) I am ordering this book today- it looks great and is only $18!.

I have Sally Fitt's Dance Kinesiology. Oh, yeah, it's the best ballet kinesiology book ever!

Thank you also Ballet Bunnie, I wish I had have bought this book first. I think I will go for it and order it today as well.

There is another book I want to buy- I want to include it in my order to get free shipping, but I will ask for recommendations in a separate thread- it is on music theory.

Thank you again and if anyone else has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I truly had never heard of "The Classic Ballet" and according to Amazon it is the best book for explaining technique for barre exercises.

And George Balanchine said:

"There are no short cuts to great dancing, but what is necessary to remember and unalterable in its instruction may be found in this book ... An admirable source of reference for the highest standard of practice ... Miss Stuart has done more than anyone else to make the academic dance clear to students and amateurs. I know that the drawings of Carlus Dyer are superior to any other illustratiosn to a training book that I have seen."-George Balanchine.

Of those books, I only have The Ballet Companion (which has some lovely photos which show each part of a step/move) and Conditioning for Dance. However, you've given me a nice list of books to start handing out around birthday time... :offtopic:

Thank you very much Mr/Ms. Johnson! ( I am not sure- is Mel and man or woman?) I am ordering this book today- it looks great and is only $18!.

Well, the sig line does say Mr., although there are those who like to call me "Major".

Thank you Mr. Johnson! I will start reading those signatures.

I just placed my order with Amazon last night. I added " Ear Training for the Body: A Danacer's Guide to Music". Sally Fitt's book has been reduced in price and is now onkly $10 more than Karen Clippenger's.

Thanx again.