Ballet Talk for Dancers

Hans van Manen's Twilight

I recently watched a DVD of the Hans van Manen Festival and absolutely loved it. After watching the main program, I watched the ballet "Twilight," which was in the bonus features section. I can understand why it was put here, as it was of a much different tone and mood compared to the others. However, I found it absolutely intriguing.

Unfortunately, I cannot find much information about it. Mostly I've just found notes about the female dancer taking off her high-heels part of the way through. Not very enlightening. I was hoping someone might have some additional insight, perhaps in regards to what inspired Mr. van Manen to create this ballet. I was so struck by the contrasting artistic elements; the backdrop featuring huge spherical buildings, as well as a post and beam fence, the woman's and the man's costumes, the John Cage score. I found these different elements so powerful in the piece. I have my own thoughts and opinions regarding the piece but I was hoping for some historical context, shall we say, about the choreography and the creation.