Ballet Talk for Dancers

getting started the right way?

silentlysailing

Sorry if I my questions are really noobish or stupid. I wanted to ask how to really get started as I'm not sure if I'm going about it right. I had mentioned in my intro that I had signed up for my first ballet course well dance course in general although I've always been in pretty good shape. I wanted to make sure you guys think I signed up for the right one. There were 2 courses offered, ballet basics which is 1 day a week for 4 weeks, and the one I signed up for which is ballet 1 which is 2 times a week for the 4 weeks. The 2 courses on one page had the same description saying that they start from square one but when you register it said that the ballet 1 is a mixed level class. I know my goal is to really see how far I can get overall and see where it all takes me ie: to try at least to go beyond recreation even though a lot of what I see says that I'm too late.

I had signed up for the classes to get me started as they were like $20 total for the 8 classes. I wanted to ask though if yall think that I would be better off starting elsewhere that may have a better program or something like that or which class yall think I should take first? To me I think it would be kinda hard to learn it with just 1 day a week for an hour.

This is where the courses are listed

I just really want to get off on the right foot.

Thanks,

Natalie

Edited by silentlysailing

It looks as if you have made the correct decision. Two classes a week will definitely be better than one. :thumbsup:

• Administrators

If you really want to get into it, why not take both courses, and then you would have 3 nights a week! :thumbsup:

If you really want to get into it, why not take both courses, and then you would have 3 nights a week! :thumbsup:

I guess I could do it if I take it a little easier in my pilates class right before the basics class. I probably took my last pilates a little bit too hard as I still feel sore in a couple spots even though it's my second day after it. If you think it'd work I'll probably do that too then.

• Administrators

I would think it would help, especially since the Ballet I class will have some mixed levels, and teachers tend to take the class at the top of the level rather than the bottom, unless the vast majority are true beginners. You will get the basics at least in the other class.

Ok, thanks. I did go ahead and register for it as it puts more confidence and comfort in my mind as it sounds like it may be a little bit ahead of me but not too far to where it would be worthless. I'm still pretty nervous though not knowing what to expect or anything especially since I've never done any dance before. I guess it would be wise though to figure out if they have dress requirements ahead of time too or if they have recommendations of some things for me to know prior to class.

I like your screenname by the way! :thumbsup:

You'll be fine! You might be out of your comfort zone a bit, but rest assured that all of us are at certain times, and that's how you know you're living!

Do the best you can, listen to your teachers, and have faith! Enjoy!!!

• Administrators

Silentlysailing, if you look a couple of lines below the "Reply button you will see FastReply and AddReply. These buttons will not quote the previous post, which is generally unnecessary. :thumbsup:

I finally found out how serious the class is. It sounds like it isn't the kind I'm looking for. They don't have any form of dress code or any real structure it's more of just an exercise class. I know what my goal is and that I know that I would not be able to be professional but I sure want to try and get up to that level so I'm looking for a pretty serious studio or school or if I'm extremely lucky make that almost no chance come true and try for a local company. If not I would still like to perform on the recreational level and learn pointe. Right now I only have class in the mornings so I would be able to work on it a lot. I'd like to ask if yall have any recommendations for like serious school or studio for adults in Houston or Austin where I could pick up a good course load. Or how I could try for it.

• Administrators

I don't know Austin, but Houston Ballet has a good adult program.

I see that Houston Ballet recommend to have some knowledge as they say it's an accelerated class. How should I go about learning the basics or prepping for something like that?

edit: I guess finding another place to supplement, especially since the courses are only at the beginning of the week so it would be good to.

I actually finally got to talk with someone specifically (ie: a program manager not a front desk person) about it and it sounds like the classes that I'm signed up for would be good to get started and prep me for the other. The person who I talked to on the phone said that it very specifically was not a fitness class and is pretty focused and that on the 1st day there isn't a dress code but that the teacher will tell us when we get there. So that works as the plan for now to switch after the basic classes and go towards the serious stuff where I'll have to leave town and will probably go to the houston ballet since it looks good but I will still find a place to pick up more classes. I'm so excited now it all fell into place I guess.

edit: Oh I am going to go see anyways how it is tonight as well I don't know why I didn't go and just do that.

edit #2 : I went by and actually watched a little bit and then after the class I talked to the teacher and it sounds like it'll be all good. From what I saw it was definitely not a fitness class. Apparently the desk and information people hadn't got a clue whats going on in the classroom. In general I liked the atmosphere and the teacher that I talked to was nice. I guess you never know till you actually go see.