Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet costumes for boys

gibbon256

I need an off the peg, soft flowing romantic style shirt that would be suitable for a traditional boy prince role.

Something white, light weight with full flowing sleeves and gathering across the chest that could either be tucked into ballet tights or gathered together with a sash?

Most dance outfitters and costume suppliers i have looked up on the internet so far have unitards & tutu's galore but nothing special for boys or men.

Anyone got any recommendations, hopefully regarding UK websites but would consider from abroad too?

Many thanks in anticipation of any help.

Edited by gibbon256

I know this might sound silly but look for stores that sell pirate costumes. A lot of the shirts are perfect for ballet type costumes.

Do a search on poet shirts - that may be a style that is acceptable. There are some suppliers in the US but not sure about the UK.

Momof3darlings

And if you need costumers in the UK, there are a good number of them discussing dance costumes on Sewing Forum UK, they might be able to help.

Since I was bored I did a search for poet shirts and UK. Sure enough, lots of pirate stores popped up. Gothic stores, too. One interesting site was The Knight Shop International - they have a really nice white shirt. It's based in the UK. There's another one called Spooktakular. These searches might take you to some viable options if you are looking for something quick. A simple poet-style shirt - to fit a smaller boy - shouldn't take too long to make, either. There should be lots of patterns available.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a US site but my son had the same issue last year and this is what they ended up wearing this item: Guys' Lace-up Shirt E68A | 0E-C3201:

https://curtaincallcostumes.com/products/pr....php?prodid=473

It comes in both men's and boy's sizes so it helps if there are boys/men in different sizes.

They also have a "Royal Prince" shirt that works as well.

Good luck!

Edited by boymom2