Ballet Talk for Dancers

fallen in love....

Not sure if this is in the right forum, if it isn't I am sorry.

Since I've began at the pre pro this summer I have fallen even more in love with ballet. All of the dancers have such elegance beauty and grace, something I've never witnessed before. Yes I already loved ballet when I began it in February at my other studio. Yet, after witnessing it here, it's like wow.. I have never seen such elegance, and what is even more amazing is these dancers are all (mostly) younger then me.. Okay which makes me feel old, yet I had never thought of taken it when I was their age, I was more dedicated to becoming the next C.C Deville(Poison guitarist).. I just astounds me what one can do in this wonderful art.. I hope this post isn't like sounding crass or anything, I'm just amazed by them is all

Edited by Redbookish
to correct text speak.

I think we all of us understand your feelings about this art form, AICO4! It's more than just exercise, isn't it?

But remember to hold on to that joy, and not make yourself a slave to the demands of ballet to the extent that you beat yourself up about it!

Thank you. Yes I go to the gym also, and Ballet is way more then just exercise...I try not to beat myself up but yet I am a perfectionist. I just in alot of ways wish I had found it when I was younger..

Edited by Redbookish
to remove unnecessary quotation of preceding post

I think many of us have regrets about not starting sooner...or in my case, having given up for 7 years (yes, the crucial 13-20 year old years, too!).

But this a beautiful art form, isn't it?

I really think those regrets are a waste of emotional energy. I think we get where we need to go, but generally not by the route we started out on.

I stopped dancing as a teen at the age of 15 because I was just bored, bored, bored with pliés. They are now my favourite exercise at the barre. But what hope for any kind of "career" -- serious achievement, rather than being paid for it -- as a dancer if I found one of the basics of it so unappealing?

No point thinking what might have been, because it probably wouldn't.

I really think those regrets are a waste of emotional energy. I think we get where we need to go, but generally not by the route we started out on...No point thinking what might have been, because it probably wouldn't.

I agree regrets are a waste of emotional energy and I am coming to a place where I've realised it's not the end of the world that I gave up for those years...I got to concentrate on my music studies (there is NO way I could have studied music at the intensity I did if I were also trying to do ballet at a high level!). Also, as you say "we get where we need to go, but generally not by the route we started out on". This is so very true for me. I still get to pursue my dancing goals even if it is a few years later.

I pour my regrets into sponsorship. At each studio I've been in, if there's a student who has desire (talent is not a requirement - only fire!) and cannot afford classes, recital costume, clothing, et. al. I'll offer help. I figure if I have no hope, someone else does, and money should not stop them from pursuing their dreams. I sponsored two students this year and do not at all regret it.

And, of course, I dance. It was a hard year emotionally but great physically. :-)

What a wonderful idea Serendipity! I hope to be able to do that one day when I have the money.

Redbookish, I am curious, why are plie's your favourite exercise? Just wondering if you have found something extra sepcial in this exercise in particular?