Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Shoes for boys?

Albini

What type of shoes do your sons wear?

My son is 9 and we have gone through canvas ballet flats, jazz shoes and now we have Bloch street dancing sneakers. But hes outgrown them and before I buy another pair I was wondering what shoes other boys wore.

Ah, silly me. I didnt word that right LOL.

My main question is is there another brand compareble to the Bloch sneakers that are sold in Canada? Sorry. We do have ballet flats. But for outdoor performing before I buy another Bloch pair, is there a comparable or better brand?

Edited by Albini
  • Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Albini. :)

If your son is studying ballet, then he needs ballet shoes! Jazz shoes and dance sneakers are not intended for ballet, but maybe leather ballet shoes would last a bit longer.

Mel Johnson

That's one of the disadvantages of having a nine-year-old boy. Outgrowing your clothes is a familiar beef. And the really rough part is that you can't buy ballet shoes "to grow into"; but he needs ballet shoes, whether leather or canvas.

What type of shoes do your sons wear?

My son is 9 and we have gone through canvas ballet flats, jazz shoes and now we have Bloch street dancing sneakers. But hes outgrown them and before I buy another pair I was wondering what shoes other boys wore.

We do have flats...I'm sorry I didnt word my post better LOL. Typing too fast.

Are there comprable sneakers to the Bloch that are found in Canada or is the Bloch the best brand? We do outdoors and rough ground perfomring too.

Edited by Albini

Regardless of the brand, leather ballet shoes tend to hold up better than canvas. As far as quality, my pros wear the SO538 Dansneaker when needed, and I have been happy with the way they have held up.

Having said that, professional dancers are not dancing on surfaces that are less than ideal, so I think your best bet may be for your school to invest in a portable floor- much safer than dancing on a rough surface!

Having said that, professional dancers are not dancing on surfaces that are less than ideal, so I think your best bet may be for your school to invest in a portable floor- much safer than dancing on a rough surface!

Oh we do LOL. Its a large school. But we are often asked to give perfomances in the community, as its a very festive and community orientated. Having good performing shoes for less then ideal flooring is very benefical. Plus, they make him 2 inches taller...or so he says.

I like the idea that they are training them to also be accountable for their movements outside of an ideal dance surface. It takes slightly different movements to get the same results. Its good to know how to do things under less then perfect conditions too IMO b/c not every dance floor is exactly the same and not every place they dance is going to be ideal at thier stage. When they are professional and thier pointe shoes last only a few hours on stage...I will definately be upset to see them on less then perfect surfaces.

But right now....I just love that they love dancing.