Ballet Talk for Dancers

Is Hypermobility good or bad?

Albini

in ballet?

Both my dancers have a hypermobility syndrome (thank-you mums bad genes). My son has great core stregnth, leg stregnth and over all muscle stregnth and he seems to be doing perfectly well in his lines and such.

Now my daughter is 6 and has all the makings of a wonderful dancer I have been told. However she has signifigant hypermobility.

IS that a benefit of a detterment?

She had horrid core stregnth, but at 2 I put her in gymanstics and now she core stregnth is better then average. She also has wonderful leg muscles.

But I am a bit concerned that she is more prone to injury withh hypermobile joints.

Edited by Albini
  • Administrators

While it is considered a detriment in terms of the medical descripton, due to the potential for injury and also pain in the joints, it can also be a benefit IF it is not too severe and the child develops the muscle strength to control it. It is extremely important that they continue to work on core strength, and that they work very carefully in any form of dance until they have built the strength to lessen the injury potential.

Generally the knees will be very hyperextended, and if the student does not know how to prevent them from traveling too far back there is definitely increased risk for injury. The hyperextension does, if there is also good rotation and if the feet are arched and flexible, create a very good line in ballet. The extended leg will look great, but it is the standing leg which can become damaged. The knees must be controlled in all standing positions, whether on two legs or one. This is done with correct alignment and weight placement, and knowing how to work the quad muscles to straighten the leg, instead of pushing back into the hyperextension.

Thats is wonderful info. Thank you. I dont want her to damage any muscles or joints. Should I contact a sports physio therapist in the future and see if there are any exercises that will help her avoid damage?

Thats is wonderful info. Thank you. I dont want her to damage any muscles or joints. Should I contact a sports physio therapist in the future and see if there are any exercises that will help her avoid damage?

yes! My 11 year old is having her contrast MRI tomorrow for hip pain. She is superflexible and because she doesn't have the core strength to support it, let her hip flexor do all the work. We are hoping for an overworked hip flexor and not a tear. She started doing pilates this month and we are switching PT's to work with someone who is really experienced with dancers. I think the problem showed up when she went on pointe.

• Administrators

Mom57, I hate to say this, but I really don't think she should be on pointe with hyperflexibility and lack of core strength. :o

Mom57, I hate to say this, but I really don't think she should be on pointe with hyperflexibility and lack of core strength. :(

Yes, apparently the hypermobility isnt as much of an issue if there is good/great core stregnth. Thats what has saved my daughter. She has amazing core stregnth now and even tho she is hypermobile she is able to hold positions. However when she walks around the house I have to remind her not to walk on the insides of her ankles. When she is dancing her ankle position is perfect. I think its laziness on her part when she isnt in the studio b/c she can do it perfectly when she needs to and hold it for the entire hour class and then on stage.

I've been curious about this - how did her core strength at age two reveal itself to be anything other than what is normal for a toddler? I'm actually somewhat surprised that none of the teacher moderators has made any mention of that.

• Administrators

Because of just that, dancingjet. No 2 year old has core strength.

She had horrid core stregnth, but at 2 I put her in gymanstics and now she core stregnth is better then average. She also has wonderful leg muscles.

Not all children have normal muscle tone.

My son had low muscle tone (very mild hypotonia) which appears like horrid core strength (floppy in the trunk). And through gym he was able to combat this :(

Babies and toddlers/children can have high muscle tone (hypertonia) or low muscle tone (hypotonia) or have normal muscle tone. These can range from very mild to very severe and activities such a gym, swimming, PT, OT are very helpful.

I didn't know anything about hypotonia - just did some quick reading. Thanks for the reply about that!

I've been curious about this - how did her core strength at age two reveal itself to be anything other than what is normal for a toddler? I'm actually somewhat surprised that none of the teacher moderators has made any mention of that.

Low trunk tone can be dxd young. Kids who dont pull to sit or pull to stand or crawel often have low trunk tone.

Kids whose back curves inwards at the bottom (lordosis) and then foreward at the top (scoliosis ) often have low trunk tone.

My daughter wore a soft brace to give her extra trunk support to gain more stability. THis allowed her to tall kneel and then pull to stand.

It took alot of physio and lots of gymanstics and now she has incredible core stregnth.

Because of just that, dancingjet. No 2 year old has core strength.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Typical kids DO have core stregnth. The issue was core tone, or hypotonia. To have low core tone/trunk tone you have a child who is unable to sit up on thier own, pull to sit or pull to stand. Its not so much a matter of stregnth, but a matter of the brain using muscles correctly. Typical core stregnth for a 2 year old means that the child can sit up from laying or roll over or pull to stand.

Hypotonia often a neuro issue. And often it can be improved. Other times it cant.

My daughter also had to be fed with a feeding tube inserted into her stomache b/c she had low oral tone and wasnt able to suckle a nipple nor move her tongue properly.

Lots of therapy and she is typical of her peers. Or even a bit stronger. However my friends child will never sit up on her own due to hypotonia.

Edited by Albini
  • Administrators

I stand corrected, Albini, thank you for that explanation. I was speaking totally in terms of a normal 2 year old not having the same kind of center, or "core strength in terms of dance", and in terms of what we would look for in an older child but do not expect in a 2 year old. I was not talking at all about hypotonia, which had not yet entered the discussion at that point.

No, it was completely my own fault. I really just didnt explain it properly. I'm sorry. When i said this:

I was talking about hypotonia....but I really didnt explain it as being what it was. I kinda glossed over its meaning and I am sure I confused everyone b/c it has such an obvious meaning in dance and I was certianally misusing it. I'm sorry about that. You are so full of such wonderful information. I have learned so much from being here.

I didn't know anything about hypotonia - just did some quick reading. Thanks for the reply about that!

No problem dancingjet :thumbsup: it's just one of those things that unless you have a child with it, or know of a child etc, you wouldn't be aware of it.

It can be caused for a variety of reasons, not just neuro. In my sons case it was due to his premature birth.